Hey lookit! It’s a whooping crane! This was a pleasant surprise, definitely wasn’t expecting to come across any whooping cranes any time soon.
She (yes she – her name is Latka and she was hatched on June 13, 2013) was hanging out with a pretty big sandhill flock (about 8oish).
She was banded and luckily, with the big boy lens I could read the bands…which is why I know her life story now, which is kinda fun.
If you’re not aware, whooping cranes are one of the most endangered birds in North America, with less than 400 of them in the wild.
I’ve seen them a couple times on the Texas coast, so it was pretty cool to see Latka in Wisconsin.
Respect these guys, guys! They’ve been way too close to extinction in the past (at one point, there were only 16 in the wild. Shit. Unacceptable.)
Reintroduction and captive breeding have really helped these birds out and their numbers are up, but they definitely still need our help.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Jill Wussow is a seasonal field biologist, nature photographer and nomad. She has worked with several federally endangered bird species (including the Golden-cheeked Warbler, Black-capped Vireo and Piping Plover), sea turtles, and bats all over the United States. She is rarely in one place for more than a few months at a time and her whereabouts are often confusing. Field work has given her great opportunity to travel often and meshes with her passion for wildlife and nature photography perfectly. Through her photography, Jill hopes to convey her love and respect of the natural world.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2475 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [1886 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? [1816 Views]
- POLL: Should the USDA stop using cyanide bombs to control predators? [1564 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [1487 Views]
- POLL: Should Norway stop the annual slaughter of whales? [1280 Views]
- Badger buries entire cow in shocking new video [1056 Views]
- Is ‘Baiting’ an ethical way to photograph wild owls? [951 Views]
- POLL: Should the sale of rhino horns be legalized? [843 Views]
- POLL: Should the Government cull badgers or vaccinate them? [713 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42073 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16838 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [14128 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [12686 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11132 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8641 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8315 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8061 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7428 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? [5378 Views]