Hey lookit! It’s a whooping crane! This was a pleasant surprise, definitely wasn’t expecting to come across any whooping cranes any time soon.
She (yes she – her name is Latka and she was hatched on June 13, 2013) was hanging out with a pretty big sandhill flock (about 8oish).
She was banded and luckily, with the big boy lens I could read the bands…which is why I know her life story now, which is kinda fun.
If you’re not aware, whooping cranes are one of the most endangered birds in North America, with less than 400 of them in the wild.
I’ve seen them a couple times on the Texas coast, so it was pretty cool to see Latka in Wisconsin.
Respect these guys, guys! They’ve been way too close to extinction in the past (at one point, there were only 16 in the wild. Shit. Unacceptable.)
Reintroduction and captive breeding have really helped these birds out and their numbers are up, but they definitely still need our help.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Jill Wussow is a seasonal field biologist, nature photographer and nomad. She has worked with several federally endangered bird species (including the Golden-cheeked Warbler, Black-capped Vireo and Piping Plover), sea turtles, and bats all over the United States. She is rarely in one place for more than a few months at a time and her whereabouts are often confusing. Field work has given her great opportunity to travel often and meshes with her passion for wildlife and nature photography perfectly. Through her photography, Jill hopes to convey her love and respect of the natural world.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Karma Strikes Again: Trophy Hunter Killed by Elephant [1114 Views]
- Rare footage helps explain what Narwhals use their tusks for [1045 Views]
- POLL: Should the Grizzly Bear be removed from the Endangered Species List? [1005 Views]
- POLL: Should all circuses with wild animals be closed down? [955 Views]
- ‘Kill them, kill them, kill them’: the volunteer army plotting to wipe out Britain’s grey squirrels [811 Views]
- $10,000 reward offered to find killer of famous Yellowstone white wolf [697 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [653 Views]
- POLL: Should Trump be allowed to destroy the Endangered Species Act [644 Views]
- Elephants Can’t Wait to Meet New Rescued Baby at Sanctuary [614 Views]
- Heroic Boat Captain Rescues Entangled Great White Shark [584 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42098 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16884 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [12052 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [11185 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11134 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8670 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8254 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7443 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [6763 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy and big game hunting be banned? [5416 Views]