This spring news emerged in the Dutch Birding scene that in the northern part of the Netherlands a colony of beautiful Whiskered Terns had formed in a new estableshed nature reserve.
Whiskered Tern is a scarce vagrant bird in the Netherlands with only a few reported breeding pairs in the last 100 years, so a colony of 20+ pairs was not to resist and I visited the area with a friend of mine last month.
This summer weather in the Netherlands was really bad – looked more like Indian Monsoon – but despite these conditions most of the nests were still occupied with small Terns. Amazing.
Images are taken previously in Lesvos, Greece.
More Whiskered Tern images can be seen here.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Marc Guyt is a Dutch photographer and owner of wildlife stock agency AGAMI. A Wanderer by birth, Marc has always made his way to the door searching for new adventures. Even at three years old he sneaked out and left his parents searching and they usually found him somewhere near an open area or some water edge. The need to see for himself was strong. The combination of Birding, photographing and travelling has brought him to many stunning places on this beautiful globe, and it will bring him no doubt in many more. It is in his blood. Owner of Dutch stock agency www.agami.nl.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should buzzards be killed to protect pheasants? [1553 Views]
- POLL: Should Namibia’s cape fur seal trade be banned? [910 Views]
- POLL: Should moose be added to the endangered species list? [810 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [747 Views]
- Video: Great White Shark breaks into diver’s cage [670 Views]
- New Zealand kea, the world’s only alpine parrot, faces extinction [655 Views]
- Humanity driving ‘unprecedented’ marine extinction [621 Views]
- China accused of defying its own ban on breeding tigers to profit from body parts [575 Views]
- POLL: Should Norway’s plan to cull its wolves be abandoned? [551 Views]
- POLL: Should all countries worldwide ban the trade in elephant ivory? [442 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41884 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16606 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [14039 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13404 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11085 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8427 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8281 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [8265 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8012 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7279 Views]