This spring news emerged in the Dutch Birding scene that in the northern part of the Netherlands a colony of beautiful Whiskered Terns had formed in a new estableshed nature reserve.
Whiskered Tern is a scarce vagrant bird in the Netherlands with only a few reported breeding pairs in the last 100 years, so a colony of 20+ pairs was not to resist and I visited the area with a friend of mine last month.
This summer weather in the Netherlands was really bad – looked more like Indian Monsoon – but despite these conditions most of the nests were still occupied with small Terns. Amazing.
Images are taken previously in Lesvos, Greece.
More Whiskered Tern images can be seen here.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Marc Guyt is a Dutch photographer and owner of wildlife stock agency AGAMI. A Wanderer by birth, Marc has always made his way to the door searching for new adventures. Even at three years old he sneaked out and left his parents searching and they usually found him somewhere near an open area or some water edge. The need to see for himself was strong. The combination of Birding, photographing and travelling has brought him to many stunning places on this beautiful globe, and it will bring him no doubt in many more. It is in his blood. Owner of Dutch stock agency www.agami.nl.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Finland’s 235 wolves be culled? [1652 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [1626 Views]
- POLL: Should the Wildlife Trust’s campaign to slaughter grey squirrels be stopped? [1614 Views]
- POLL: Should Trump disband USDA Wildlife “Killing” Services? [1260 Views]
- POLL: Should Alaska’s refuges be opened for hunting again? [1182 Views]
- POLL: Should more bear hunting licenses be issued? [1154 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [917 Views]
- POLL: Should Australia’s feral cats be culled? [841 Views]
- Why do birds sing? [639 Views]
- An elk’s-eye view of migrating through Yellowstone [576 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42059 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16807 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13865 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [12064 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11117 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8614 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8309 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [8089 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8049 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7417 Views]