The news about African lions is usually dire these days, as the species dwindles across its range. But Thiessen K. Musaah from Nakuru, Kenya, gave us a welcome break with his question about coat color.
Why, he asked, are lions in South Africa’s Kruger National Park “fawn to golden white” while their kin in the Kenya and Tanzania are “fawn to golden brown?”
A known genetic mutation can create what’s known as a “white lion,” which is technically lighter brown, not truly white, says Leslie Lyons, a feline geneticist at the University of Missouri.
Though some might think these lions are albino, they’re not—true albinos are unable to produce any kind of pigment, hence their white coloration and pink eyes: Blood vessels normally masked by eye color show through.
The gene is “like blue eyes in a population of Caucasians. A few people have them, but most don’t,” adds Craig Packer, director of the Lion Research Center at the University of Minnesota and a National Geographic Society grantee.
But this white gene may put lions at a disadvantage—for instance, the predators may look more conspicuous as they sneak up on prey, says Boone Smith, an independent big cat researcher based in Idaho.
So over time, if these white lions are not able to successfully hunt, “the white genome simply fades out,” he says.
But that doesn’t mean they’ll never turn up again.
“Just because a trait is not visible does not mean it is not in the genes,” Smith says. If a male and female carrying the same recessive gene mate, that unusual coloration may show up in a cub—though it’s quite rare.
Lyons notes that recessive traits can become more prevalent in areas where inbreeding occurs, such as Tanzania’s Ngorongoro Crater.
Big cats in the crater, which is nearly 2,000 feet deep and about 116 square miles wide, are isolated from most other lions and have some health issues, such as abnormal sperm, Packer says.
The Mane Affair
While we’re on the subject of lion colors, manes can also vary in hue from light brown to black.
Though mane color can also be genetic, environmental factors also play a role.
A Riveting Encounter with a Rare Black-Maned Lion
“Normal lions produce more melanin in their mane hair in certain circumstances, [such as] when they are producing more testosterone, when they are better fed, when they are not heat-stressed,” says Packer,
who led a 2002 study on mane coloration.
Those dark manes make the males hotter in more ways than one: Females show a strong preference for longer, darker manes, possibly because it’s a sign of higher testosterone and better health.
But don’t think manes are only for males: Though uncommon, maned lionesses have been regularly sighted in the Mombo area of Botswana’s Okavango Delta.
This article was first published by National Geographic on 29 Jul 2017
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Trump’s elephant trophy hunting plan be stopped? – [1179 Views]
- POLL: Should babies be allowed to buy hunting licenses? – [1029 Views]
- POLL: Should big-game and canned, trophy hunting be banned? – [1017 Views]
- POLL: Should wild horses be protected from roundups and slaughter? – [891 Views]
- POLL: Should South Africa strictly enforce its anti-poaching legislation? – [815 Views]
- Florida Opened a Fake Alligator Farm to Catch Poachers – [806 Views]
- POLL: Should African Grey Parrots be protected from illegal trafficking? – [786 Views]
- POLL: Should gillnets be banned in the Upper Gulf to save the Vaquita? – [778 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of animals in circuses be banned? – [755 Views]
- POLL: Should international shipping of shark fins be banned? – [752 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7663 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [5866 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3818 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [3648 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3065 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]