I’ve been chasing sightings of Yellow-headed Blackbirds in Florida for years. I’ve gone to Palm Beach County, where they are regular in the winter time, I’ve gone up to Alachua County, where they’ve been seen the day before and the day after I was there.
I’ve chased them around Lake Apopka, where they’ve always eluded me. One showed up in a Wal-Mart parking lot a few weeks ago about a half-hour from my house, but it wasn’t kind enough to wait around until I could get there. So when someone reported one on March 16th at a small park in Orange Co.
I’d never even heard of before, I was a bit skeptical that I’d actually find the bird. I had to drive up to Alabama the next morning, but I decided to take an hour to look for it.
But once I found the spot, the bird was easy to find. And it was an incredibly cooperative adult male. He spent a lot of time throwing his head back calling. I found this behavior very entertaining and fascinating.
The male is so striking that I think it’s the prettiest blackbird I’ve seen. The bird was initially somewhat hidden in the cattails, and I fired off a few shots. Then it flew away. While I was looking at my photos, it flew back and landed in the reeds right in front of me.
It’s so unusual for me to get photos like this the first time I see a bird, but these are some of my favorite blackbird photos.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Scott Simmons, based in Florida, is a lover of nature, landscape, and wildlife photography. Scott became interested in photography in 2001 when he was given his first SLR camera. When he acquired a telephoto lens, he became progressively more interested in birds and other wildlife. Scott enjoys learning about bird habitats and behavior, striving always to take images that are both beautiful and interpretive. Scott believes photography is a great vehicle to help others to appreciate the wonder for the stuff of earth.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2008 Views]
- Karma Strikes Again: Trophy Hunter Killed by Elephant [1123 Views]
- POLL: Should the Grizzly Bear be removed from the Endangered Species List? [1007 Views]
- POLL: Should all circuses with wild animals be closed down? [973 Views]
- ‘Kill them, kill them, kill them’: the volunteer army plotting to wipe out Britain’s grey squirrels [819 Views]
- Bald Eagle Adopts Baby Hawk Instead of Eating Him [716 Views]
- $10,000 reward offered to find killer of famous Yellowstone white wolf [701 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [636 Views]
- Elephants Can’t Wait to Meet New Rescued Baby at Sanctuary [617 Views]
- Heroic Boat Captain Rescues Entangled Great White Shark [616 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42100 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16884 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11112 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [9942 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8679 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8246 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7446 Views]
- POLL: Should the killing of giraffes be outlawed? [4692 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of pilot whales in the Faroes be stopped? [4659 Views]
- POLL: Should Spain’s “Running of the Bulls” festival be banned? [4609 Views]