I’ve been chasing sightings of Yellow-headed Blackbirds in Florida for years. I’ve gone to Palm Beach County, where they are regular in the winter time, I’ve gone up to Alachua County, where they’ve been seen the day before and the day after I was there.
I’ve chased them around Lake Apopka, where they’ve always eluded me. One showed up in a Wal-Mart parking lot a few weeks ago about a half-hour from my house, but it wasn’t kind enough to wait around until I could get there. So when someone reported one on March 16th at a small park in Orange Co.
I’d never even heard of before, I was a bit skeptical that I’d actually find the bird. I had to drive up to Alabama the next morning, but I decided to take an hour to look for it.
But once I found the spot, the bird was easy to find. And it was an incredibly cooperative adult male. He spent a lot of time throwing his head back calling. I found this behavior very entertaining and fascinating.
The male is so striking that I think it’s the prettiest blackbird I’ve seen. The bird was initially somewhat hidden in the cattails, and I fired off a few shots. Then it flew away. While I was looking at my photos, it flew back and landed in the reeds right in front of me.
It’s so unusual for me to get photos like this the first time I see a bird, but these are some of my favorite blackbird photos.
Scott Simmons, based in Florida, is a lover of nature, landscape, and wildlife photography. Scott became interested in photography in 2001 when he was given his first SLR camera. When he acquired a telephoto lens, he became progressively more interested in birds and other wildlife. Scott enjoys learning about bird habitats and behavior, striving always to take images that are both beautiful and interpretive. Scott believes photography is a great vehicle to help others to appreciate the wonder for the stuff of earth.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7351 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3208 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [2966 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy hunting in Kyrgystan be banned? – [1733 Views]
- POLL: Should SeaWorld be closed down? – [1522 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for continuing to slaughter whales? – [1126 Views]
- POLL: Should Yellowstone’s Iconic Grizzly Bears be Stripped of Federal Protection? – [1025 Views]
- POLL: Should roadside zoos be closed down? – [978 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? – [937 Views]
- POLL: Should trail (fox) hunting on National Trust land be stopped? – [897 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [7786 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [2289 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [2081 Views]
- POLL: Should the export of elephants to China be banned? [2068 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? [2028 Views]
- Trophy Hunter Gets Eaten by Crocodiles [2021 Views]