Whilst birdwatching the Haradh area in early a January 2017 I came across up to 30 Yellow Wagtails including some male Black-headed Wagtails feeding in a stubble field. This is a very early date for the birds and they may well have wintered in the area. Mid-February is the start of the spring passage for this species and Black-headed Wagtail feldegg is often the first subspecies to occur.
The Black-headed Wagtail is part of the Yellow Wagtail complex a group of birds that are common spring and autumn passage migrants, sometimes in hundreds. Thy pass from mid-February to May and again from early August to mid-November with many races identifiable in the field including feldegg, melanogrisia, lutea, flava, thunbergi and bema. In spring the black-headed yellow wagtail feldegg (considered by some as a separate species) is often the first subspecies to occur with bema, flava and thunbergi following.
By April, flocks of more than a hundred birds are regularly recorded in cultivated areas. During the autumn peak passage, in October, numbers are higher with flocks occasionally exceeding 500 birds. Occasionally they are also recorded during summer and winter such as these birds.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Jem Babbington is a keen birder and amateur photographer located in Dhahran, Eastern Saudi Arabia where he goes birding every day. Jem was born in England and is a serious local patch and local area birder who has been birding for almost forty years and has birded in more than fifty countries. Jem is learning to ring birds in Bahrain as a perfect way to learn more about the birds of the area. Saudi Arabia is a very much under-watched and under-recorded country.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3674 Views]
- 10 amazing birds that have gone extinct [1209 Views]
- POLL: Should the trade in both raw and antique ivory be banned? [1204 Views]
- POLL: Should India’s export of tiger skin, parts and bones be stopped? [1093 Views]
- POLL: Is big game hunting important for African economies? [1062 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [973 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of exotic animal skins for fashion be banned? [966 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife crime be enforced by tougher legislation? [786 Views]
- POLL: Should the Eurasian Lynx be rewilded? [776 Views]
- POLL: Should the grey squirrel be culled to protect red squirrels? [757 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42031 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16755 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [13871 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13820 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11114 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [11079 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8602 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8303 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8039 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7392 Views]