I held my first workshop of this breeding season to the Farne Islands on Wednesday. The weather wasn’t perfect but we had a good day getting some good images of the birds. The puffins are now feeding their young, giving good opportunities to get them with sandeels in their beaks. There was some nice groups of guillemots forming along with groups of puffins.
The guillemot group is an interesting one as it has two bridled guillemots as members. The bridled guillemot has a line around its eyes that looks like a pair of spectacles. The normal guillemot doesn’t have the “spectacles”. The instances of bridled guillemots in this country increases the further north you travel. On the Farne Islands the number of bridled guillemots is around for percent of the local population numbers at this latitude.
I am running the Puffin and Seabird Workshops through June and July this year on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays for more detail see click on this link.
Here are a few images from the trip this week
Ron McCombe, A professional wildlife photographer, Ron lives in the Scottish Borders. He has travelled around Europe, North America and Canada in pursuit of his photographic goals. He concentrates his photography around the Borders Region of Scotland but travels up to the Highlands and Islands around Scotland running workshops in these areas. An award-winning photographer, Ron won the inaugural Scottish Nature Photographer of the Year 2010. His work can be seen in books, magazines and newspapers. He is passionate about Scotland and its amazing wildlife and promotes it in his lectures and illustrated talks all over the UK.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Europe’s Wolves be Rewilded? – [1370 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts – [1067 Views]
- Anti-bird tree spikes: we love cars so much, we destroy nature for them – [1009 Views]
- Coast Guard Rescues Sea Turtle Entangled Amid Bales of Cocaine – [999 Views]
- How Do Squirrels Deal With Cold? They May Not Feel It Like Us – [980 Views]
- Nepal’s Last Dancing Bears Have Been Rescued – [957 Views]
- Poachers Shoot Down Sea Shepherd Drone in the Gulf of Mexico – [926 Views]
- Beak fitness: New Zealand develops roadside gym for endangered keas – [900 Views]
- 7 Common Food Items Not Good for Backyard Birds – [828 Views]
- POLL: Should the trafficking of Hippo Teeth be banned? – [805 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7795 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [4510 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [4094 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [3395 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3100 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [2289 Views]