We carried on and turned off on the Red Rocks loop. Shortly after turning onto this dirt road, we were rewarded with a lovely sighting of 2 rare and shy Sharpe’s Grysbok in the process of courtship!
They suddenly became edgy and froze. I could hear the alarm call of vervet monkeys down in the riverbed behind them. I was sure there was a leopard walking down there, but there just wasn’t anywhere in the vicinity where I could get a view down into the riverbed!! Aaarg!
A bateleur shaking off his spiderwebs…
We also found a troop of Chacma Baboons who had a bunch of rowdy young folks…
As we came to a viewing point over the river, we had a special sighting of a small member of the animal kingdom often overlooked. A female Tree Squirrel was carrying her baby in her mouth over a thick branch at a precarious height. I’d never seen this before, check it out!
We stopped for a leg-stretch at a lovely viewing point…
As we headed back to camp slowly along the Red Rocks loop, we saw this cute little Terrapin…
…as well as a Hamerkop…
However, the highlight of the drive was this big Elephant bull, wallowing in the late morning sun like a fat piggy!
We got back to Shingwedzi and proceeded to have a late brunch and a well-deserved early afternoon nap (after getting up at 04h00 every morning!).
…to be continued…
Since picking up a DSLR camera for the first time, a little over 3 years ago, Morkel has been invigorated with an unbridled passion for the photographic art form. He has grown at a tremendous pace and put immense energy into the creation of his images. He absolutely loves spending time in the wild places of his native Southern Africa. From a young age he has been visiting legendary wildlife and outdoor locations, including the Kruger Park National Park and the Drakensberg Mountains, with his family. Now that he has found a way to share the natural beauty of his homeland with the rest of the world he is regularly out on photography trips. An Industrial Engineer by profession, and an accomplished artist in genres like music and poetry, Morkel has always enjoyed whatever allows him to express his creativity to the fullest. Photography turned out to be the perfect "marriage" between his engineering brain and artistic soul. "I hope that in some way I can raise awareness through my imagery of the plight of not only our wildlife but also the fragility of the last remaining wilderness areas that they call home.” Morkel was recently honoured for his commitment to his craft by receiving a "Highly Commended" for one of his images in the 2010 BBC Veolia Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition. He is based in Mpumalanga, South Africa and even though he prefers going on safari with his family and friends, Morkel also leads the odd photographic safari and has recently begun presenting workshops in post-processing techniques.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the UK finally abandon its controversial badger cull? – [2176 Views]
- POLL: Should fox hunting legislation be repealed in the UK? – [2168 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of Grizzly Bears be banned nationwide? – [2013 Views]
- Arctic Fox and Snowy Owl Filmed Doing Strange ‘Dance’ – But Why? – [1882 Views]
- How Sea Shepherd lost battle against Japan’s whale hunters in Antarctic – [1267 Views]
- POLL: Should We Revive Extinct Species? – [1117 Views]
- POLL: Should Lolita the Lonely Orca be Freed? – [1093 Views]
- It’s a Miracle! Wisdom Lays an Egg at Age 67 – [1038 Views]
- POLL: Should drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge be banned? – [1002 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [997 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7733 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [4755 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [4278 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [4061 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3077 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]