On Friday, the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society said a pod of more than 250 dolphins including babies, juveniles and a rare albino calf had been driven into a cove in Taiji, south-east Japan. Taiji is renowned for its dolphin-hunting traditions, shooting to prominence after the release of the 2009 Oscar-winning documentary The Cove. The town is in the middle of its traditional dolphin-hunting season, which runs between September and April.
The US ambassador to Japan, Caroline Kennedy, has expressed deep concern about the Japanese tradition of “drive-hunting” dolphins just days after scores of creatures were rounded up for slaughter in a town infamous for culling the mammals.
“Deeply concerned by inhumaneness of drive hunt dolphin killing,” Kennedy tweeted, adding that the US government “opposes drive hunt fisheries.”
Sea Shepherd activists said the cull continued over the weekend, as dolphin families were separated so they could be individually assessed as worth for captivity or slaughter. Fifteen dolphins were taken on Sunday from the cove via sling and transferred to the Taiji harbour sea pens and several captive facilities in Taiji, the group said on its Facebook page.
“We expect that most of the pod will be slaughtered and some too small to claim for quota will be driven back out to sea to fend for themselves,” they said.
We invite you to vote FOR or AGAINST the stopping of the dolphin slaughter in Taiji Cove. Please vote and also leave your comments at the bottom of this page.
Now that you’ve voted, please sign the petition
Don’t delay! Do it today.
The editorial content of this article was written and published by the Guardian.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Europe’s Wolves be Rewilded? – [1413 Views]
- 7 Common Food Items Not Good for Backyard Birds – [1359 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts – [1137 Views]
- Coast Guard Rescues Sea Turtle Entangled Amid Bales of Cocaine – [999 Views]
- Nepal’s Last Dancing Bears Have Been Rescued – [963 Views]
- Poachers Shoot Down Sea Shepherd Drone in the Gulf of Mexico – [929 Views]
- Beak fitness: New Zealand develops roadside gym for endangered keas – [917 Views]
- POLL: Should the trafficking of Hippo Teeth be banned? – [860 Views]
- Fang trafficking to China is putting Bolivia’s jaguars in jeopardy – [803 Views]
- Florida Is ‘Raining Iguanas.’ Will The Invasive Reptiles Adapt? – [781 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7803 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [4519 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [4097 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts – [4067 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [3395 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3100 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]