Faroese villagers have slaughtered about 250 pilot whales in the past 24 hours according to Sea Shepherd activists monitoring the traditional summer hunts in the north Atlantic islands.
The whale pods, which migrate past the islands in July and August, were herded by flotillas of small boats on to two beaches where villagers waded into the water to kill them with lances.
Seven protesters, mainly from European countries, have been arrested this week for allegedly interfering with the the traditional community hunts, known as “grindadráp”.
“It was perfectly clear that the Danish navy ships Triton and Knud Rasmussen were present to guard one grindadráp, and that the slaughter [only] proceeded with the full consent of the Danish navy,” said Wyanda Lublink, captain of the Sea Shepherd boat Brigitte Bardot.
“How Denmark – an anti-whaling member nation of the European Union, subject to laws prohibiting the slaughter of cetaceans – can attempt to justify its collaboration in this slaughter is incomprehensible,” he said.
Footage from the hunt suggests that 111 pilot whales were killed on a beach at Nólsoy and a further 142 near the capital Tórshavn.
Whaling in the Faroes has been practised for hundreds of years and is regulated by the Faroese authorities. Around 800 pilot whales and some dolphins are killed annually.
This article was first published by The Guardian on 24 Jul 2015.
We invite you to share your opinion whether the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter should be banned? Please vote and leave your comments at the bottom of this page:
Thank you for voting.
In the event that you voted to ban the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter, please sign the petition:
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should circus animal exploitation be banned in England? – [1210 Views]
- POLL: Should Lolita the Lonely Orca be Freed? – [1164 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts – [1051 Views]
- Anti-bird tree spikes: we love cars so much, we destroy nature for them – [1000 Views]
- Coast Guard Rescues Sea Turtle Entangled Amid Bales of Cocaine – [996 Views]
- How Do Squirrels Deal With Cold? They May Not Feel It Like Us – [974 Views]
- Nepal’s Last Dancing Bears Have Been Rescued – [953 Views]
- Poachers Shoot Down Sea Shepherd Drone in the Gulf of Mexico – [922 Views]
- Beak fitness: New Zealand develops roadside gym for endangered keas – [899 Views]
- Arctic Fox and Snowy Owl Filmed Doing Strange ‘Dance’ – But Why? – [884 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7792 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [4501 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [4091 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [3962 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [3395 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3100 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]