The Sunshine State is considering a new way to make headlines that are even more embarrassing than harassing children with lemonade stands. An event in Dade City, would actually allow people to pretend they’re in Spain running with bulls.
Rob Dickens is the C.O.O. and organizer of The Great Bull Run, LLC, a Boston-based company. The event is scheduled for Feb. 1, 2014, at the Little Everglades Ranch in Dade City, Fla., providing all the necessary permits are granted.
Animal rights group PETA is urging Little Everglades Ranch General Manager, Katie Carris to refuse to host the event. And a Facebook page called “Halt The Great Bull Run” is already attracting traffic.
Critics of the Great Bull Run claim the event has the potential to injure or kill animals and people. At the event, two sets of bulls will be frightened (they won’t do it willingly) into running with anyone over the age of 18 who is willing to pay between $40 and $85.
The Great Bull Run website brags, “There have been only fifteen deaths in the Pamplona running of the bulls in the past 102 years!”
Great for business or sheer stupidity?
That is the question Pasco County officials will have to ask when considering whether to issue permits for the Dade City, bull running event. There are additional factors for officials to consider:
If permits to serve alcohol are granted, the event could end up being “drunks being run over by bulls.” Now add Florida’s liberal gun laws and consider the number of intoxicated thrill seekers this type of event would attract, and this could turn out to be the greatest deliberately approved tragedy in Florida history.
If Pasco County is genuinely interested in attracting businesses for family oriented events, sanctioning one that has the potential to kill its patrons might not be the best way to achieve that goal.
We invite you to vote FOR or AGAINST the issuing of the permits for the Florida bull run. Please vote and also leave your comments at the bottom of this page.
Now that you’ve voted, please sign the petition:
Don’t delay! Do it today.
The editorial content of this article was written by Maryann Tobin for Examiner.com
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Europe’s Wolves be Rewilded? – [1370 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts – [1067 Views]
- Anti-bird tree spikes: we love cars so much, we destroy nature for them – [1009 Views]
- Coast Guard Rescues Sea Turtle Entangled Amid Bales of Cocaine – [999 Views]
- How Do Squirrels Deal With Cold? They May Not Feel It Like Us – [980 Views]
- Nepal’s Last Dancing Bears Have Been Rescued – [957 Views]
- Poachers Shoot Down Sea Shepherd Drone in the Gulf of Mexico – [926 Views]
- Beak fitness: New Zealand develops roadside gym for endangered keas – [900 Views]
- 7 Common Food Items Not Good for Backyard Birds – [828 Views]
- POLL: Should the trafficking of Hippo Teeth be banned? – [805 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7795 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [4510 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [4094 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [3395 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3100 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [2289 Views]