The Andean Goose, Chloephaga melanoptera, is a member of the duck, goose and swan family Anatidae. It is in the shelduck subfamily Tadorninae. It is resident around lakes and marshes in the high Andes, usually well above 3000 m. It is largely terrestrial and avoids swimming except in emergencies.
The Barnacle Goose (Branta leucopsis) belongs to the genus Branta of black geese, which contains species with largely black plumage, distinguishing them from the grey Anser species. Despite its superficial similarity to the Brent Goose, genetic analysis has shown it is an eastern derivative of the Cackling Goose lineage.Barnacle Geese breed mainly on the Arctic islands of the North Atlantic including Greenland, Svalbard & Novaya Zemlya and winter on the Hebrides of western Scotland, western Ireland, the Solway Firth on the England/Scotland border, the Netherlands.
The Greater White-fronted Goose (Anser albifrons) is a goose species closely related to the smaller Lesser White-fronted Goose. In Europe it has been known as simply "White-fronted Goose"; in North America it is known as the Greater White-fronted Goose (or "Greater Whitefront"), and this name is also increasingly adopted internationally. In Northern and Central North America, it is colloquially called "Specklebelly" due to the salt-and-pepper appearance of the underside.
The Greylag Goose is found throughout the Old World, apparently breeding where suitable localities are to be found in many European countries, although it no longer breeds in southwestern Europe. Eastwards it extends across Asia to China. In North America there are both feral domestic geese, which are similar to greylags, and occasional vagrants. The geese are migratory, moving south or west in winter, but Scottish breeders, some other populations in northwestern Europe, and feral flocks are largely resident. This species is one of the last to migrate, and the "lag" portion of its name is said to derive from this lagging behind other geese.
The Lesser White-fronted Goose (Anser erythropus) is a goose closely related to the larger White-fronted Goose (A. albifrons). It breeds in northernmost Asia, but it is a scarce breeder in Europe. There is a re-introduction scheme in Fennoscandia. The Lesser White-fronted Goose winters further south in Europe and is a very rare winter visitor to Great Britain.
The Magpie-goose, Anseranas semipalmata, is a waterbird species found in coastal northern Australia and savannah in southern New Guinea. It is a unique member of the order Anseriformes, and arranged in a family and genus distinct from all other living waterfowl. The Magpie-goose is a resident breeder in northern Australia and in southern New Guinea.
The Red-breasted Goose (Branta ruficollis) is a goose of the genus Branta. The Red-breasted Goose breeds in Arctic Europe, often close to nests of large birds of prey, such as Peregrine Falcons. This helps to protect this small goose from predators such as the Arctic Fox. It winters in south eastern Europe. It is a rare vagrant to Great Britain & other western European areas, where it is sometimes found with Brent flocks.
The Spur-winged Goose, (Plectropterus gambensis), is a large bird in the family Anatidae, related to the geese and the shelducks, but distinct from both of these in a number of anatomical features, and therefore treated in its own subfamily, the Plectropterinae. It occurs in wetlands throughout sub-Saharan Africa.
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Poll: Should badger culls be continued in the UK? » [909 Views]
- Poll: Should hunting of black bears in Florida be allowed? » [904 Views]
- Fishermen get crafty to circumvent shark fin ban » [674 Views]
- Weasel photographed riding on a woodpecker’s back » [673 Views]
- Viral Video: Stealthy Octopus Leaps From Water and Attacks Crab » [593 Views]
- After a cruel attack, an injured toucan will get its beak back, thanks to 3D printing » [487 Views]
- Blue-Bearded Helmetcrest Rediscovered in Colombia, Photographed for First Time » [483 Views]
- Owl attacks prompt Dutch town to arm itself with umbrellas » [467 Views]
- Appeal to all birders and wildlife enthusiasts: add your name to the list in solidarity » [452 Views]
- Poll: Should koalas be culled in overpopulated areas to prevent starvation? » [442 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10680 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4229 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [3772 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [3574 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3547 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2926 Views]
- Poll: Should hunting of black bears in Florida be allowed? » [2886 Views]
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [2820 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [2647 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [2645 Views]