Welcome to the Focusing on Wildlife Galleries
Discover and share outstanding wildlife images.
Join the discussions and upload your own photos.
The Andean Goose, Chloephaga melanoptera, is a member of the duck, goose and swan family Anatidae. It is in the shelduck subfamily Tadorninae. It is resident around lakes and marshes in the high Andes, usually well above 3000 m. It is largely terrestrial and avoids swimming except in emergencies.
The Barnacle Goose (Branta leucopsis) belongs to the genus Branta of black geese, which contains species with largely black plumage, distinguishing them from the grey Anser species. Despite its superficial similarity to the Brent Goose, genetic analysis has shown it is an eastern derivative of the Cackling Goose lineage.Barnacle Geese breed mainly on the Arctic islands of the North Atlantic including Greenland, Svalbard & Novaya Zemlya and winter on the Hebrides of western Scotland, western Ireland, the Solway Firth on the England/Scotland border, the Netherlands.
The Greater White-fronted Goose (Anser albifrons) is a goose species closely related to the smaller Lesser White-fronted Goose. In Europe it has been known as simply "White-fronted Goose"; in North America it is known as the Greater White-fronted Goose (or "Greater Whitefront"), and this name is also increasingly adopted internationally. In Northern and Central North America, it is colloquially called "Specklebelly" due to the salt-and-pepper appearance of the underside.
The Greylag Goose is found throughout the Old World, apparently breeding where suitable localities are to be found in many European countries, although it no longer breeds in southwestern Europe. Eastwards it extends across Asia to China. In North America there are both feral domestic geese, which are similar to greylags, and occasional vagrants. The geese are migratory, moving south or west in winter, but Scottish breeders, some other populations in northwestern Europe, and feral flocks are largely resident. This species is one of the last to migrate, and the "lag" portion of its name is said to derive from this lagging behind other geese.
The Lesser White-fronted Goose (Anser erythropus) is a goose closely related to the larger White-fronted Goose (A. albifrons). It breeds in northernmost Asia, but it is a scarce breeder in Europe. There is a re-introduction scheme in Fennoscandia. The Lesser White-fronted Goose winters further south in Europe and is a very rare winter visitor to Great Britain.
The Magpie-goose, Anseranas semipalmata, is a waterbird species found in coastal northern Australia and savannah in southern New Guinea. It is a unique member of the order Anseriformes, and arranged in a family and genus distinct from all other living waterfowl. The Magpie-goose is a resident breeder in northern Australia and in southern New Guinea.
The Red-breasted Goose (Branta ruficollis) is a goose of the genus Branta. The Red-breasted Goose breeds in Arctic Europe, often close to nests of large birds of prey, such as Peregrine Falcons. This helps to protect this small goose from predators such as the Arctic Fox. It winters in south eastern Europe. It is a rare vagrant to Great Britain & other western European areas, where it is sometimes found with Brent flocks.
The Spur-winged Goose, (Plectropterus gambensis), is a large bird in the family Anatidae, related to the geese and the shelducks, but distinct from both of these in a number of anatomical features, and therefore treated in its own subfamily, the Plectropterinae. It occurs in wetlands throughout sub-Saharan Africa.
Share this page with your friends
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the tradition of throwing wild turkeys from a plane be allowed? – [1938 Views]
- POLL: Should the Rare Spirit Bear Be Protected From Hunters? – [1652 Views]
- POLL: Should Arizona’s wild cats be protected from trophy hunters? – [1315 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of bears as living tourist attractions be banned? – [1205 Views]
- POLL: Should Dolphinariums As Tourist Attractions Be Closed Down? – [1073 Views]
- POLL: Should animal traps in our National Wildlife Refuges be banned? – [1067 Views]
- POLL: Should Orcas and Dolphins be freed from all Seaquariums? – [1033 Views]
- POLL: Should the Alaska Refuge be opened up for drilling? – [992 Views]
- POLL: Should Trump’s elephant trophy hunting plan be stopped? – [924 Views]
- POLL: Should performing elephants in circuses be banned? – [794 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7645 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [6544 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3788 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [3605 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3057 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]