Do you have an interesting wildlife story to share, images or videoclips you’d like to post on-line? If the answer is “YES” then we invite you to join our “Multi-Author Wildlife Blog”. Simply confirm your interest to join us by completing the form on this link.
The Andean Goose, Chloephaga melanoptera, is a member of the duck, goose and swan family Anatidae. It is in the shelduck subfamily Tadorninae. It is resident around lakes and marshes in the high Andes, usually well above 3000 m. It is largely terrestrial and avoids swimming except in emergencies.
The Barnacle Goose (Branta leucopsis) belongs to the genus Branta of black geese, which contains species with largely black plumage, distinguishing them from the grey Anser species. Despite its superficial similarity to the Brent Goose, genetic analysis has shown it is an eastern derivative of the Cackling Goose lineage.Barnacle Geese breed mainly on the Arctic islands of the North Atlantic including Greenland, Svalbard & Novaya Zemlya and winter on the Hebrides of western Scotland, western Ireland, the Solway Firth on the England/Scotland border, the Netherlands.
The Greater White-fronted Goose (Anser albifrons) is a goose species closely related to the smaller Lesser White-fronted Goose. In Europe it has been known as simply "White-fronted Goose"; in North America it is known as the Greater White-fronted Goose (or "Greater Whitefront"), and this name is also increasingly adopted internationally. In Northern and Central North America, it is colloquially called "Specklebelly" due to the salt-and-pepper appearance of the underside.
The Greylag Goose is found throughout the Old World, apparently breeding where suitable localities are to be found in many European countries, although it no longer breeds in southwestern Europe. Eastwards it extends across Asia to China. In North America there are both feral domestic geese, which are similar to greylags, and occasional vagrants. The geese are migratory, moving south or west in winter, but Scottish breeders, some other populations in northwestern Europe, and feral flocks are largely resident. This species is one of the last to migrate, and the "lag" portion of its name is said to derive from this lagging behind other geese.
The Lesser White-fronted Goose (Anser erythropus) is a goose closely related to the larger White-fronted Goose (A. albifrons). It breeds in northernmost Asia, but it is a scarce breeder in Europe. There is a re-introduction scheme in Fennoscandia. The Lesser White-fronted Goose winters further south in Europe and is a very rare winter visitor to Great Britain.
The Magpie-goose, Anseranas semipalmata, is a waterbird species found in coastal northern Australia and savannah in southern New Guinea. It is a unique member of the order Anseriformes, and arranged in a family and genus distinct from all other living waterfowl. The Magpie-goose is a resident breeder in northern Australia and in southern New Guinea.
The Red-breasted Goose (Branta ruficollis) is a goose of the genus Branta. The Red-breasted Goose breeds in Arctic Europe, often close to nests of large birds of prey, such as Peregrine Falcons. This helps to protect this small goose from predators such as the Arctic Fox. It winters in south eastern Europe. It is a rare vagrant to Great Britain & other western European areas, where it is sometimes found with Brent flocks.
The Spur-winged Goose, (Plectropterus gambensis), is a large bird in the family Anatidae, related to the geese and the shelducks, but distinct from both of these in a number of anatomical features, and therefore treated in its own subfamily, the Plectropterinae. It occurs in wetlands throughout sub-Saharan Africa.
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? » [2849 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [2207 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [1952 Views]
- POLL: Should Grey Squirrels be Culled in the UK? » [1348 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [924 Views]
- Watch: How Did a Young Elephant Drive Off 14 Lions? » [718 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts » [559 Views]
- POLL: Should the Canadian Government bring an end to the annual seal slaughter? Shocking Video! » [501 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [500 Views]
- Ornithologists Map Family Tree of Mysterious Cotinga Birds » [484 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10958 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7962 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7404 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5656 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4742 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4671 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4007 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3205 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [3047 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2907 Views]