Welcome to the Focusing on Wildlife Galleries
Discover and share outstanding wildlife images.
Join the discussions and upload your own photos.
The Andean Goose, Chloephaga melanoptera, is a member of the duck, goose and swan family Anatidae. It is in the shelduck subfamily Tadorninae. It is resident around lakes and marshes in the high Andes, usually well above 3000 m. It is largely terrestrial and avoids swimming except in emergencies.
The Barnacle Goose (Branta leucopsis) belongs to the genus Branta of black geese, which contains species with largely black plumage, distinguishing them from the grey Anser species. Despite its superficial similarity to the Brent Goose, genetic analysis has shown it is an eastern derivative of the Cackling Goose lineage.Barnacle Geese breed mainly on the Arctic islands of the North Atlantic including Greenland, Svalbard & Novaya Zemlya and winter on the Hebrides of western Scotland, western Ireland, the Solway Firth on the England/Scotland border, the Netherlands.
The Greater White-fronted Goose (Anser albifrons) is a goose species closely related to the smaller Lesser White-fronted Goose. In Europe it has been known as simply "White-fronted Goose"; in North America it is known as the Greater White-fronted Goose (or "Greater Whitefront"), and this name is also increasingly adopted internationally. In Northern and Central North America, it is colloquially called "Specklebelly" due to the salt-and-pepper appearance of the underside.
The Greylag Goose is found throughout the Old World, apparently breeding where suitable localities are to be found in many European countries, although it no longer breeds in southwestern Europe. Eastwards it extends across Asia to China. In North America there are both feral domestic geese, which are similar to greylags, and occasional vagrants. The geese are migratory, moving south or west in winter, but Scottish breeders, some other populations in northwestern Europe, and feral flocks are largely resident. This species is one of the last to migrate, and the "lag" portion of its name is said to derive from this lagging behind other geese.
The Lesser White-fronted Goose (Anser erythropus) is a goose closely related to the larger White-fronted Goose (A. albifrons). It breeds in northernmost Asia, but it is a scarce breeder in Europe. There is a re-introduction scheme in Fennoscandia. The Lesser White-fronted Goose winters further south in Europe and is a very rare winter visitor to Great Britain.
The Magpie-goose, Anseranas semipalmata, is a waterbird species found in coastal northern Australia and savannah in southern New Guinea. It is a unique member of the order Anseriformes, and arranged in a family and genus distinct from all other living waterfowl. The Magpie-goose is a resident breeder in northern Australia and in southern New Guinea.
The Red-breasted Goose (Branta ruficollis) is a goose of the genus Branta. The Red-breasted Goose breeds in Arctic Europe, often close to nests of large birds of prey, such as Peregrine Falcons. This helps to protect this small goose from predators such as the Arctic Fox. It winters in south eastern Europe. It is a rare vagrant to Great Britain & other western European areas, where it is sometimes found with Brent flocks.
The Spur-winged Goose, (Plectropterus gambensis), is a large bird in the family Anatidae, related to the geese and the shelducks, but distinct from both of these in a number of anatomical features, and therefore treated in its own subfamily, the Plectropterinae. It occurs in wetlands throughout sub-Saharan Africa.
Share on social media:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2436 Views]
- Trophy Hunter Gets Eaten by Crocodiles [1894 Views]
- Scientists Discover Rare and Endangered Cat in Borneo [974 Views]
- POLL: Should the inter-breeding of lions and tigers be banned? [884 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [839 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for exceeding its bluefin tuna quota? [838 Views]
- POLL: Should the illegal wildlife trade in slow lorises be stopped? [838 Views]
- Rare footage helps explain what Narwhals use their tusks for [793 Views]
- 10 of the Most Endangered Species on Earth [731 Views]
- POLL: Should the giraffe be listed as an endangered species? [727 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42085 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16868 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [12273 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [12117 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11135 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8655 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8291 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8074 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7437 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy and big game hunting be banned? [5383 Views]