Welcome to the Focusing on Wildlife Galleries
Discover and share outstanding wildlife images.
Join the discussions and upload your own photos.
The Andean Goose, Chloephaga melanoptera, is a member of the duck, goose and swan family Anatidae. It is in the shelduck subfamily Tadorninae. It is resident around lakes and marshes in the high Andes, usually well above 3000 m. It is largely terrestrial and avoids swimming except in emergencies.
The Barnacle Goose (Branta leucopsis) belongs to the genus Branta of black geese, which contains species with largely black plumage, distinguishing them from the grey Anser species. Despite its superficial similarity to the Brent Goose, genetic analysis has shown it is an eastern derivative of the Cackling Goose lineage.Barnacle Geese breed mainly on the Arctic islands of the North Atlantic including Greenland, Svalbard & Novaya Zemlya and winter on the Hebrides of western Scotland, western Ireland, the Solway Firth on the England/Scotland border, the Netherlands.
The Greater White-fronted Goose (Anser albifrons) is a goose species closely related to the smaller Lesser White-fronted Goose. In Europe it has been known as simply "White-fronted Goose"; in North America it is known as the Greater White-fronted Goose (or "Greater Whitefront"), and this name is also increasingly adopted internationally. In Northern and Central North America, it is colloquially called "Specklebelly" due to the salt-and-pepper appearance of the underside.
The Greylag Goose is found throughout the Old World, apparently breeding where suitable localities are to be found in many European countries, although it no longer breeds in southwestern Europe. Eastwards it extends across Asia to China. In North America there are both feral domestic geese, which are similar to greylags, and occasional vagrants. The geese are migratory, moving south or west in winter, but Scottish breeders, some other populations in northwestern Europe, and feral flocks are largely resident. This species is one of the last to migrate, and the "lag" portion of its name is said to derive from this lagging behind other geese.
The Lesser White-fronted Goose (Anser erythropus) is a goose closely related to the larger White-fronted Goose (A. albifrons). It breeds in northernmost Asia, but it is a scarce breeder in Europe. There is a re-introduction scheme in Fennoscandia. The Lesser White-fronted Goose winters further south in Europe and is a very rare winter visitor to Great Britain.
The Magpie-goose, Anseranas semipalmata, is a waterbird species found in coastal northern Australia and savannah in southern New Guinea. It is a unique member of the order Anseriformes, and arranged in a family and genus distinct from all other living waterfowl. The Magpie-goose is a resident breeder in northern Australia and in southern New Guinea.
The Red-breasted Goose (Branta ruficollis) is a goose of the genus Branta. The Red-breasted Goose breeds in Arctic Europe, often close to nests of large birds of prey, such as Peregrine Falcons. This helps to protect this small goose from predators such as the Arctic Fox. It winters in south eastern Europe. It is a rare vagrant to Great Britain & other western European areas, where it is sometimes found with Brent flocks.
The Spur-winged Goose, (Plectropterus gambensis), is a large bird in the family Anatidae, related to the geese and the shelducks, but distinct from both of these in a number of anatomical features, and therefore treated in its own subfamily, the Plectropterinae. It occurs in wetlands throughout sub-Saharan Africa.
Share on social media:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Japan’s “research whaling” program be closed down? [1958 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [1772 Views]
- POLL: Should buzzards be killed to protect pheasants? [1466 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [1359 Views]
- POLL: Should Norway’s plan to cull its wolves be abandoned? [1244 Views]
- Rare desert lions of ‘five musketeers’ fame poisoned [1241 Views]
- The biologist terrifying the US Forest Service, timber and forest fire-fighting industries [1199 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan’s killing of dolphins and whales be stopped? [959 Views]
- POLL: Should the badger cull in the UK be extended? [903 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on the ivory trade? [828 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41861 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16576 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [14371 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13391 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11073 Views]
- POLL: Should hare coursing be banned in Ireland? [10031 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8411 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8273 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [8078 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8005 Views]