According to the 2016 IUCN Red List, 1,460 bird species are considered threatened with extinction (i.e. in the categories of “Critically Endangered”, “Endangered” and “Vulnerable”). This represents 13% of the total of 10,965 extant bird species in the world.
An additional 1,029 species are considered “Near Threatened” and 5 are “Extinct in the Wild”, giving a total of 2,489 species that are priorities for conservation.
We aim to create galleries for as many of the world’s 10,965 extant bird species as possible by:
1) Creating Species Galleries enriched with available media including photographs, video, audioclips and factsheets.
2) Conservation Status of Species will be marked CR (Critical), EN (Endangered), VU (Vulnerable), NT (Near Threatened) or LC (Least Concern).
3) Publishing Articles when the conservation status of any of these bird species changes and new information becomes available.
According to the 2016 IUCN Red List, 225 of the world’s 10,965 extant bird species are “Critically Endangered (CR)”. A “Critically Endangered” species faces an extremely high risk of extinction in the wild. The photographs of the “Critically Endangered” species below have been archived by our Species Champions.
According to the 2016 IUCN Red List, 1,029 of the world’s 10,965 extant bird species are “Near Threatened (NT)“. A “Near Threatened” species is close to qualifying for a threatened category in the near future. The photographs of the “Near Threatened” species below have been archived by our Species Champions.
Share this page with your friends
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the UK finally abandon its controversial badger cull? – [2170 Views]
- POLL: Should fox hunting legislation be repealed in the UK? – [2168 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of Grizzly Bears be banned nationwide? – [2013 Views]
- Arctic Fox and Snowy Owl Filmed Doing Strange ‘Dance’ – But Why? – [1838 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [1424 Views]
- How Sea Shepherd lost battle against Japan’s whale hunters in Antarctic – [1267 Views]
- POLL: Should We Revive Extinct Species? – [1117 Views]
- POLL: Should the Cheetah be classified as “Endangered”? – [1113 Views]
- POLL: Should Lolita the Lonely Orca be Freed? – [1054 Views]
- It’s a Miracle! Wisdom Lays an Egg at Age 67 – [1038 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7733 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [4787 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [4251 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [4057 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [3285 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3077 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]