Jonathan Franzen’s 2015 film “Emptying the Skies” about the illegal trapping of songbirds along the Mediterranean coast does a thorough, sobering job of covering what is a pretty grotesque practice.
Once again our blog is sponsoring “The Dutch Knights” in the “Champions of the Flyway” event on 29th March 2016.
They will line up in Eilat Israel together with other crack birding teams with a common purpose – to raise awareness about the urgent need for action.
Raising awareness about the need for action:
Take a look at the shocking photos below to convince yourself about the need for urgent action. Hunting and trapping of migrating birds is still being extensively practiced in many European countries. e.g. France, Spain, Italy, Greece, Cyprus, Malta, Albania, Croatia, Georgia.
We invite you to share your opinion whether the killing of birds in Southern Europe should be allowed to continue? Please vote and leave your comments at the bottom of this page:
Thank you for voting.
BirdLife International organizes an event each year – Champions of the Flyway – to generate funding that results in direct conservation action for birds in the Mediterranean flyway.
Millions of birders from every corner of the world participate – either by racing in person or by following events live online. As race teams tweet their sightings in real time, anyone, anywhere in the world can follow the race live on Twitter and participate virtually.
Focusing on Wildlife is sponsoring The Dutch Knights in their mission to stop the illegal killing of birds. Their fundraising page can be found on the link below.
All teams are in competition to see who will raise the most to stop the illegal killing of birds.
Please help to raise awareness by sharing this article on Facebook or Twitter.
Thank you for your support.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [1383 Views]
- Karma Strikes Again: Trophy Hunter Killed by Elephant [1120 Views]
- POLL: Should the Grizzly Bear be removed from the Endangered Species List? [1007 Views]
- POLL: Should all circuses with wild animals be closed down? [967 Views]
- ‘Kill them, kill them, kill them’: the volunteer army plotting to wipe out Britain’s grey squirrels [817 Views]
- $10,000 reward offered to find killer of famous Yellowstone white wolf [701 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [626 Views]
- Elephants Can’t Wait to Meet New Rescued Baby at Sanctuary [617 Views]
- Heroic Boat Captain Rescues Entangled Great White Shark [614 Views]
- Live donkey fed to tigers in shareholder protest at Chinese zoo [587 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42100 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16884 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11134 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [10607 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8675 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8246 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7444 Views]
- POLL: Should the killing of giraffes be outlawed? [4685 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of pilot whales in the Faroes be stopped? [4657 Views]
- POLL: Should Spain’s “Running of the Bulls” festival be banned? [4609 Views]