Jonathan Franzen’s 2015 film “Emptying the Skies” about the illegal trapping of songbirds along the Mediterranean coast does a thorough, sobering job of covering what is a pretty grotesque practice.
Once again our blog is sponsoring “The Dutch Knights” in the “Champions of the Flyway” event on 29th March 2016.
They will line up in Eilat Israel together with other crack birding teams with a common purpose – to raise awareness about the urgent need for action.
Raising awareness about the need for action:
Take a look at the shocking photos below to convince yourself about the need for urgent action. Hunting and trapping of migrating birds is still being extensively practiced in many European countries. e.g. France, Spain, Italy, Greece, Cyprus, Malta, Albania, Croatia, Georgia.
We invite you to share your opinion whether the killing of birds in Southern Europe should be allowed to continue? Please vote and leave your comments at the bottom of this page:
Thank you for voting.
BirdLife International organizes an event each year – Champions of the Flyway – to generate funding that results in direct conservation action for birds in the Mediterranean flyway.
Millions of birders from every corner of the world participate – either by racing in person or by following events live online. As race teams tweet their sightings in real time, anyone, anywhere in the world can follow the race live on Twitter and participate virtually.
Focusing on Wildlife is sponsoring The Dutch Knights in their mission to stop the illegal killing of birds. Their fundraising page can be found on the link below.
All teams are in competition to see who will raise the most to stop the illegal killing of birds.
Please help to raise awareness by sharing this article on Facebook or Twitter.
Thank you for your support.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3671 Views]
- 10 amazing birds that have gone extinct [1210 Views]
- POLL: Should the trade in both raw and antique ivory be banned? [1209 Views]
- POLL: Should India’s export of tiger skin, parts and bones be stopped? [1094 Views]
- POLL: Is big game hunting important for African economies? [1089 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [982 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of exotic animal skins for fashion be banned? [967 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife crime be enforced by tougher legislation? [791 Views]
- POLL: Should the Eurasian Lynx be rewilded? [781 Views]
- POLL: Should the grey squirrel be culled to protect red squirrels? [764 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42033 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16761 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [13869 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13820 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [11123 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11114 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8602 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8303 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8039 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7394 Views]