The Sunshine State is considering a new way to make headlines that are even more embarrassing than harassing children with lemonade stands. An event in Dade City, would actually allow people to pretend they’re in Spain running with bulls.
Rob Dickens is the C.O.O. and organizer of The Great Bull Run, LLC, a Boston-based company. The event is scheduled for Feb. 1, 2014, at the Little Everglades Ranch in Dade City, Fla., providing all the necessary permits are granted.
Animal rights group PETA is urging Little Everglades Ranch General Manager, Katie Carris to refuse to host the event. And a Facebook page called “Halt The Great Bull Run” is already attracting traffic.
Critics of the Great Bull Run claim the event has the potential to injure or kill animals and people. At the event, two sets of bulls will be frightened (they won’t do it willingly) into running with anyone over the age of 18 who is willing to pay between $40 and $85.
The Great Bull Run website brags, “There have been only fifteen deaths in the Pamplona running of the bulls in the past 102 years!”
Great for business or sheer stupidity?
That is the question Pasco County officials will have to ask when considering whether to issue permits for the Dade City, bull running event. There are additional factors for officials to consider:
If permits to serve alcohol are granted, the event could end up being “drunks being run over by bulls.” Now add Florida’s liberal gun laws and consider the number of intoxicated thrill seekers this type of event would attract, and this could turn out to be the greatest deliberately approved tragedy in Florida history.
If Pasco County is genuinely interested in attracting businesses for family oriented events, sanctioning one that has the potential to kill its patrons might not be the best way to achieve that goal.
We invite you to vote FOR or AGAINST the issuing of the permits for the Florida bull run. Please vote and also leave your comments at the bottom of this page.
Now that you’ve voted, please sign the petition:
Don’t delay! Do it today.
The editorial content of this article was written by Maryann Tobin for Examiner.com
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2449 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? [1533 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [1483 Views]
- POLL: Should the USDA stop using cyanide bombs to control predators? [1428 Views]
- POLL: Should Alaska’s refuges be opened for hunting again? [1368 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [1228 Views]
- POLL: Should Norway stop the annual slaughter of whales? [1126 Views]
- Badger buries entire cow in shocking new video [1048 Views]
- Is ‘Baiting’ an ethical way to photograph wild owls? [916 Views]
- POLL: Should the sale of rhino horns be legalized? [829 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42073 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16836 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [14116 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [12619 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11131 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8639 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8315 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8061 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7427 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? [5377 Views]