The Sunshine State is considering a new way to make headlines that are even more embarrassing than harassing children with lemonade stands. An event in Dade City, would actually allow people to pretend they’re in Spain running with bulls.
Rob Dickens is the C.O.O. and organizer of The Great Bull Run, LLC, a Boston-based company. The event is scheduled for Feb. 1, 2014, at the Little Everglades Ranch in Dade City, Fla., providing all the necessary permits are granted.
Animal rights group PETA is urging Little Everglades Ranch General Manager, Katie Carris to refuse to host the event. And a Facebook page called “Halt The Great Bull Run” is already attracting traffic.
Critics of the Great Bull Run claim the event has the potential to injure or kill animals and people. At the event, two sets of bulls will be frightened (they won’t do it willingly) into running with anyone over the age of 18 who is willing to pay between $40 and $85.
The Great Bull Run website brags, “There have been only fifteen deaths in the Pamplona running of the bulls in the past 102 years!”
Great for business or sheer stupidity?
That is the question Pasco County officials will have to ask when considering whether to issue permits for the Dade City, bull running event. There are additional factors for officials to consider:
If permits to serve alcohol are granted, the event could end up being “drunks being run over by bulls.” Now add Florida’s liberal gun laws and consider the number of intoxicated thrill seekers this type of event would attract, and this could turn out to be the greatest deliberately approved tragedy in Florida history.
If Pasco County is genuinely interested in attracting businesses for family oriented events, sanctioning one that has the potential to kill its patrons might not be the best way to achieve that goal.
We invite you to vote FOR or AGAINST the issuing of the permits for the Florida bull run. Please vote and also leave your comments at the bottom of this page.
Now that you’ve voted, please sign the petition:
Don’t delay! Do it today.
The editorial content of this article was written by Maryann Tobin for Examiner.com
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2442 Views]
- Trophy Hunter Gets Eaten by Crocodiles [1894 Views]
- Scientists Discover Rare and Endangered Cat in Borneo [974 Views]
- POLL: Should the inter-breeding of lions and tigers be banned? [929 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for exceeding its bluefin tuna quota? [838 Views]
- POLL: Should the illegal wildlife trade in slow lorises be stopped? [838 Views]
- Rare footage helps explain what Narwhals use their tusks for [837 Views]
- 10 of the Most Endangered Species on Earth [750 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [701 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of animal fur in fashion clothing be banned? [695 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42085 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16869 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [12229 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [12117 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11135 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8655 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8291 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8074 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7437 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy and big game hunting be banned? [5383 Views]