The Sunshine State is considering a new way to make headlines that are even more embarrassing than harassing children with lemonade stands. An event in Dade City, would actually allow people to pretend they’re in Spain running with bulls.
Rob Dickens is the C.O.O. and organizer of The Great Bull Run, LLC, a Boston-based company. The event is scheduled for Feb. 1, 2014, at the Little Everglades Ranch in Dade City, Fla., providing all the necessary permits are granted.
Animal rights group PETA is urging Little Everglades Ranch General Manager, Katie Carris to refuse to host the event. And a Facebook page called “Halt The Great Bull Run” is already attracting traffic.
Critics of the Great Bull Run claim the event has the potential to injure or kill animals and people. At the event, two sets of bulls will be frightened (they won’t do it willingly) into running with anyone over the age of 18 who is willing to pay between $40 and $85.
The Great Bull Run website brags, “There have been only fifteen deaths in the Pamplona running of the bulls in the past 102 years!”
Great for business or sheer stupidity?
That is the question Pasco County officials will have to ask when considering whether to issue permits for the Dade City, bull running event. There are additional factors for officials to consider:
If permits to serve alcohol are granted, the event could end up being “drunks being run over by bulls.” Now add Florida’s liberal gun laws and consider the number of intoxicated thrill seekers this type of event would attract, and this could turn out to be the greatest deliberately approved tragedy in Florida history.
If Pasco County is genuinely interested in attracting businesses for family oriented events, sanctioning one that has the potential to kill its patrons might not be the best way to achieve that goal.
We invite you to vote FOR or AGAINST the issuing of the permits for the Florida bull run. Please vote and also leave your comments at the bottom of this page.
Now that you’ve voted, please sign the petition:
Don’t delay! Do it today.
The editorial content of this article was written by Maryann Tobin for Examiner.com
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Finland’s 235 wolves be culled? [1641 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [1621 Views]
- POLL: Should the Wildlife Trust’s campaign to slaughter grey squirrels be stopped? [1609 Views]
- POLL: Should Trump disband USDA Wildlife “Killing” Services? [1219 Views]
- POLL: Should more bear hunting licenses be issued? [1152 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [967 Views]
- POLL: Should Australia’s feral cats be culled? [824 Views]
- POLL: Could U.S. endangered species rules go extinct under Trump? [727 Views]
- Why do birds sing? [634 Views]
- An elk’s-eye view of migrating through Yellowstone [569 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42056 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16800 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13853 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11117 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8614 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8309 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [8116 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8048 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7417 Views]
- Wildlife Photo Adventure in Costa Rica! [6115 Views]