Take some time to learn about the amazing social structure of the Lycaon pictus or “painted wolf”, the scientific name of the African Wild Dog. While it is true that this species is perhaps one of the most efficient hunters in Africa, it also may be one of the most tender hearted. Wild dogs will allow their young to feed first, have an extensive communal family structure, regurgitate meat for the young and less fortunate of the pack, and is one of the few species that will care for sick or injured members of their family. These and many other attributes make this a species worthy of protecting and defending its right to run free in the wild.
South Luangwa National Park, Zambia.
Nikon D3s. Nikon 200-400 mm.
ISO 3200. f4 @ 1/500 Sec.
© Dana Allen www.photosafari-africa.net
Professional Wildlife and Adventure Photographer, Naturalist, Publisher and Educator. Dana Allen was born in California and raised as a global citizen. As a youth he travelled widely, visiting and living in numerous countries around the world. Acquiring his first camera at the age of 12, Dana’s passion for photography has never dimmed. He studied Fine Art Photography in Arizona and was awarded both a Bachelors and a Masters Degree with highest honours. Dana has taught photography in Universities both in the United States and Zimbabwe. Enthused with the environment and its inhabitants, Dana is dedicated to portraying the natural world around us. He founded PhotoSafari in 1991 and has specialized in photographing wildlife, landscapes and tourism activities in Africa ever since. Millions of viewers have enjoyed his images through various publications, cards, calendars and books.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should circus animal exploitation be banned in England? – [1210 Views]
- POLL: Should Lolita the Lonely Orca be Freed? – [1164 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts – [1051 Views]
- Anti-bird tree spikes: we love cars so much, we destroy nature for them – [1000 Views]
- Coast Guard Rescues Sea Turtle Entangled Amid Bales of Cocaine – [996 Views]
- How Do Squirrels Deal With Cold? They May Not Feel It Like Us – [974 Views]
- Nepal’s Last Dancing Bears Have Been Rescued – [953 Views]
- Poachers Shoot Down Sea Shepherd Drone in the Gulf of Mexico – [922 Views]
- Beak fitness: New Zealand develops roadside gym for endangered keas – [899 Views]
- Arctic Fox and Snowy Owl Filmed Doing Strange ‘Dance’ – But Why? – [884 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7792 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [4501 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [4091 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [3962 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [3395 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3100 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]