Kyushu island of Japan marks the regular northernmost limit for the wide-ranging Brown Booby in the western Pacific, however their numbers vary from month to month and in the right circumstances can even be encountered off the main Honshu island.
In the Ariake Sea they can often be found on the ferry route between Shimabara and Kumamoto, where they roost on navigational aids. But they are much more numerous and reliable on the confluence of the Ariake Sea and Japan Sea, where the churning waters are teeming with all sorts of suitable fish that are forced close to the surface by the currents.
Although a common bird with a large area of distribution, the Brown Booby is always fascinating to observe as it dives from great heights, hits the water surface with tremendous force and then struggles to become airborne again.
They are a comical mass of untidy feathers when attempting any aerial manoeuvre, but are quite graceful when in horizontal flight or when soaring.
John Wright is an Australian wildlife photographer and bird guide based in Kyushu, Japan. John became seriously engaged in nature photography while living in Japan and then Thailand. He returned to Japan in 2008 and has since concentrated on wildlife photography, especially birds. John visits Southeast Asia and Australia regularly, but usually travels within the Japanese archipelago, where he also guides visiting birders and wildlife photography enthusiasts.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [2426 Views]
- POLL: Should the UK finally abandon its controversial badger cull? – [2167 Views]
- POLL: Should fox hunting legislation be repealed in the UK? – [2165 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of Grizzly Bears be banned nationwide? – [2013 Views]
- Arctic Fox and Snowy Owl Filmed Doing Strange ‘Dance’ – But Why? – [1807 Views]
- How Sea Shepherd lost battle against Japan’s whale hunters in Antarctic – [1261 Views]
- POLL: Should We Revive Extinct Species? – [1117 Views]
- POLL: Should the Cheetah be classified as “Endangered”? – [1113 Views]
- It’s a Miracle! Wisdom Lays an Egg at Age 67 – [1038 Views]
- POLL: Should drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge be banned? – [980 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7727 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [4826 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [4201 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [4055 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [3285 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3077 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]