It has been many weeks since I reported on the Lake District ospreys. The good news was that the pair of ospreys had been successful in rearing two chicks and I returned this week knowing that they had fledged. I wanted to see them before they left on their long migration to West Africa. I did have some nice views of the two juveniles as they fed and flew around from the nest site. The parents were still around and were bringing back fish for their youngsters.I wish them a safe journey to Africa.
I have shown below some of my better efforts at photographing the two juveniles on the nest and taking off and landing with fish which will have been left by one of the adult birds. The fish that one of them is carrying is a flounder and will have been caught from the estuary of the nearby River Leven. I have also included some other wildlife seen in the area.
It was nice to see a selection of butterflies which so far this year seem to have been in short supply. I also came across a basking adder and a young robin which both posed nicely for me. Hope you enjoy the images and I look forward to the ospreys returning next Spring. More and more ospreys are setting up home in this part of the Lake District and I am aware that more platform nests have been constructed to encourage the birds to stay.
The future looks good for these magnificent birds to establish a healthy population and to go on and extend their range into other parts of Northern England. Thanks for looking in.
I am based in Preston. Lancashire. This central location enables me to travel easily to a wide variety of habitats in the North of England. I tend these days not to travel very far as I find that there is plenty to see not very far from home. On my own doorstep are a wonderful variety of habitats - natural woodlands, open fells and hill country, unspoilt river valleys and I have easy access to the delights of the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales National Parks. As you will see from my bird images much time is spent at the wonderful coastal sites forming part of Morecambe Bay and the Ribble Estuary e.g. Marshside and Leighton Moss. In recent years Digital Photography has taken over from Video and as time has moved on I have acquired more and more equipment - as you do!! I use Nikon Camera Equipment and currently use a Nikon D200 for general work and a D300 specifically for bird photography. The D300m is usually coupled to a 500mm F4 lens which has dramatically changed the quality of images that I am now able to obtain. I am enjoying being able to post images on Flickr and share the rewards of our wonderful interests with the rest of the world!!!
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should circus animal exploitation be banned in England? – [1210 Views]
- POLL: Should Lolita the Lonely Orca be Freed? – [1164 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts – [1051 Views]
- Anti-bird tree spikes: we love cars so much, we destroy nature for them – [1000 Views]
- Coast Guard Rescues Sea Turtle Entangled Amid Bales of Cocaine – [996 Views]
- How Do Squirrels Deal With Cold? They May Not Feel It Like Us – [974 Views]
- Nepal’s Last Dancing Bears Have Been Rescued – [953 Views]
- Poachers Shoot Down Sea Shepherd Drone in the Gulf of Mexico – [922 Views]
- Beak fitness: New Zealand develops roadside gym for endangered keas – [899 Views]
- Arctic Fox and Snowy Owl Filmed Doing Strange ‘Dance’ – But Why? – [884 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7792 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [4501 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [4091 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [3962 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [3395 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3100 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]