Yesterday was a sunny but cold day with an unpleasant northerly wind. Today was without wind and temperatures warmed through the day from -6C to around zero with snow now falling which will turn into rain overnight. Yesterday I checked out the Glomma and Aurskog Høland but found much less than last week with the cold spell clearly having forced birds to look for more appealing sites.
Today was a bit better and I chose a trip to the Drøbak area. The sea was calm and revealed lots of seaduck: 300 plus Eiders, 80 Common Scoter and 40 Velvet Scoter. As is normally the case the Velvet Scoters were dominated by adult males whereas probably all the Common Scoters were 1st winter birds – it is interesting that the different age groups of these two species choose to have such different wintering areas (the adult Common Scoters winter further south but I am not sure where the young Velvet Scoters spend the winter – further north?).
Amongst the duck were a stonking 11 Common Seals which is by far the highest count reported for Akershus. There was a lot of play or possibly courtship amongst them. I picked out a high count of 6 Purple Sandpipers on a different island but saw no sign of the local White-tailed Eagles which I had hoped may have been enjoying the weather and displaying in the blue skies. Quality photos have been a rare commodity recently with birds at great distance, heat haze and too bright light giving me problems.
male Common Eider (ærfugl)
a 2cy male Eider and an adult male
4 of the 11 seals
another a failed picture but this moose (elg) was one of three I saw in Maridalen which is my first sighting of the year. The mild winter with little snow had meant that they could find food deep in the forest but as the winter wears on there is less food to find plus the recent snow has made conditions more challenging so they are drawn to agricultural land.
This video really only gives you an idea of how far away the Purple Sands and seals were
Even if I found no Bean Geese along the Glomma River yesterday it was a lovely day!
I’m not quite sure what caused these circular clouds – maybe the Almighty was blowing smoke rings?
Simon Rix is an English Birder who has lived in Oslo, Norway since 2001. Birding has been his passion since primary school and after an education as an economist and career within oil and gas and then drinks industry he turned his attention full time to birds as middle age approached. He is particularly interested in patch birding and migration and is an active guide, blogger and photographer. He is a member of the Norwegian Rarities Committee (NSKF).
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Europe’s Wolves be Rewilded? – [1370 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts – [1067 Views]
- Anti-bird tree spikes: we love cars so much, we destroy nature for them – [1009 Views]
- Coast Guard Rescues Sea Turtle Entangled Amid Bales of Cocaine – [999 Views]
- How Do Squirrels Deal With Cold? They May Not Feel It Like Us – [980 Views]
- Nepal’s Last Dancing Bears Have Been Rescued – [957 Views]
- Poachers Shoot Down Sea Shepherd Drone in the Gulf of Mexico – [926 Views]
- Beak fitness: New Zealand develops roadside gym for endangered keas – [900 Views]
- 7 Common Food Items Not Good for Backyard Birds – [828 Views]
- POLL: Should the trafficking of Hippo Teeth be banned? – [805 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7795 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [4510 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [4094 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [3395 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3100 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [2289 Views]