German Shepherd Dogs are a very popular breed of dog. They come in many different colors and sizes, but all share some distinctive traits: they’re intelligent and loyal animals that want nothing more than to please their owner. It’s not always easy to find the best food for German Shepherds because of their sensitive stomachs—but it is possible! Here we’ve compiled a list of what you should and shouldn’t feed your pet.
What You Should Feed Your German Shepherd dog
Like other dogs, German shepherd dogs need a balanced diet. They need to have the right amount of protein, carbohydrates, and fats in order for your dog to stay healthy. You can research online for the best dog food for German shepherds to ensure that they’re getting the nutrients that they need. Besides this, you can feed your dog healthy treats, which are locally available.
There are many different types of home-made foods you can give your German Shepherd as long as they’re healthy, but here’s a list of what you should try first:
- Beef – When it comes to beef-based foods, it’s best to find a food that has at least 30-40% beef in its ingredients. This is because too much beef can cause your dog to become overweight and obese—which as you know, isn’t good for them!
- Chicken – The same goes with chicken: try not to give them foods with more than 50% chicken in its ingredients.
- Pork – You can feed your dog pork, but be careful when you do because too much of this ingredient will cause them to become overweight and unhealthy.
- Liver – Liver is a great source of protein for German Shepherds—as long as it’s not cooked with any extra spices or seasonings! This is because the cooked liver is very rich in Vitamin A, which can cause your dog to get sick if they eat too much.
- Eggs – You can give your German Shepherd eggs as long as the ingredients don’t have any seasonings or spices on them—just make sure it’s a straight-up scrambled egg!
There are many other foods you can feed your dog that are healthy, such as carrots and celery. As long as you’re not feeding them any things with added sugars or salts, then they should be fine!
What You Shouldn’t Feed Your German Shepherd dog
There are many foods that you should never feed your German Shepherd. These include:
- Avocado – It’s best to avoid feeding your dog avocados because the pit of this fruit is known for being toxic. This doesn’t mean you can never give them avocado ever again, but just be careful when you do so that they don’t swallow it whole.
- Onions and garlic – Both of these foods are great for humans, but not dogs! If you’re cooking with either of them and your German Shepherd is around then they can get very sick.
- Macadamia nuts – While macadamia nuts aren’t toxic to dogs, they do have a substance in their shells that’s known for making the dog go crazy—which can be quite dangerous for them!
- Tomato leaves, stems, and the green parts of the fruit – Tomatoes are good to eat but not so much when it comes to dogs.
- Chocolate – If you read our blog post about chocolate toxicity, then you know that it isn’t healthy for humans or dogs—and this includes German Shepherds!
How Feeding the Wrong Thing Can Make Their Health Worse
It’s important that you pay attention to what you are feeding your German Shepherd and why. If they eat the wrong thing, then it can make them sick for a long time—and sometimes lead to death! The best way to avoid this is by learning about their specific dietary needs as well as knowing which foods are okay for them or not.
Common Food Allergies in Dogs and How they Affect Them
There are many symptoms that your dog can have when they’re having an allergic reaction. These include itching, vomiting, diarrhea, and more! If you think that your German Shepherd has eaten something bad for them then it’s best to take them in for a check-up at the veterinarian right away.
If your German shepherd is lactose intolerant, they will have a hard time digesting lactose. This includes milk and other dairy products.
Your dog’s stomach may start to turn red or itchy after you give them certain foods that aren’t good for them. This is called gastritis, which isn’t too much of a problem but can be if your German Shepherd has it for a long period of time.
You should feed your German shepherd a diet that’s high in nutritional value and meat-based. They shouldn’t have any added sugars, salts, or spices so they stay healthy and happy. This blog post has highlighted what you should and shouldn’t feed them, so you know what to avoid.