Phil and I found a well-marked Tree Pipit at Sabkhat Al Fasl on Friday 2 October 2015. The bird was seen initially from some distance and caused some thoughts of Olive-backed Pipit. The bird appeared to have relatively plain upperparts, lacking streaking of Tree Pipit and sometimes looking olive toned but other times more brownish.
The bird, however, lacked the obvious white supercilium and strong black lateral crown strip normally shown above the supercilium of Olive-backed Pipit. The bird was well marked below with large dark breast streaking ad had a very obvious ear covert spot, although this lacked the black mark below that is often obvious in Olive-backed Pipit.
As we got closer to the bird it became apparent it was a well-marked Tree Pipit and a couple of photos are shown below. One thing to mention is the bird looks much browner in the photos that it did in the field.
Jem Babbington is a keen birder and amateur photographer located in Dhahran, Eastern Saudi Arabia where he goes birding every day. Jem was born in England and is a serious local patch and local area birder who has been birding for almost forty years and has birded in more than fifty countries. Jem is learning to ring birds in Bahrain as a perfect way to learn more about the birds of the area. Saudi Arabia is a very much under-watched and under-recorded country.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Trump’s elephant trophy hunting plan be stopped? – [1184 Views]
- POLL: Should babies be allowed to buy hunting licenses? – [1073 Views]
- POLL: Should big-game and canned, trophy hunting be banned? – [1017 Views]
- POLL: Should wild horses be protected from roundups and slaughter? – [899 Views]
- POLL: Should South Africa strictly enforce its anti-poaching legislation? – [819 Views]
- Florida Opened a Fake Alligator Farm to Catch Poachers – [806 Views]
- POLL: Should African Grey Parrots be protected from illegal trafficking? – [804 Views]
- POLL: Should gillnets be banned in the Upper Gulf to save the Vaquita? – [780 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of animals in circuses be banned? – [757 Views]
- POLL: Should international shipping of shark fins be banned? – [756 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7663 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [5832 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3832 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [3650 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3065 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]