Phil and I found a well-marked Tree Pipit at Sabkhat Al Fasl on Friday 2 October 2015. The bird was seen initially from some distance and caused some thoughts of Olive-backed Pipit. The bird appeared to have relatively plain upperparts, lacking streaking of Tree Pipit and sometimes looking olive toned but other times more brownish.
The bird, however, lacked the obvious white supercilium and strong black lateral crown strip normally shown above the supercilium of Olive-backed Pipit. The bird was well marked below with large dark breast streaking ad had a very obvious ear covert spot, although this lacked the black mark below that is often obvious in Olive-backed Pipit.
As we got closer to the bird it became apparent it was a well-marked Tree Pipit and a couple of photos are shown below. One thing to mention is the bird looks much browner in the photos that it did in the field.
Jem Babbington is a keen birder and amateur photographer located in Dhahran, Eastern Saudi Arabia where he goes birding every day. Jem was born in England and is a serious local patch and local area birder who has been birding for almost forty years and has birded in more than fifty countries. Jem is learning to ring birds in Bahrain as a perfect way to learn more about the birds of the area. Saudi Arabia is a very much under-watched and under-recorded country.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [3473 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? – [2008 Views]
- POLL: Should Nevada’s wild horses be protected from roundups and slaughter? – [1793 Views]
- POLL: Should the export of young elephants to Chinese zoos be banned? – [1489 Views]
- POLL: Should the Grand Canyon Bison be culled? – [1316 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a total ban on trade in rhino horn? – [1260 Views]
- POLL: Should trail (fox) hunting on National Trust land be stopped? – [1169 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on the shark fin trade? – [1007 Views]
- POLL: Would you support the reintroduction of the wolf in the UK? – [759 Views]
- 5 Cruel Animal Traditions That Make No Sense Today – [738 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7626 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [7233 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3685 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3036 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [2289 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [2081 Views]