There are 17 acres of open land in the Hollywood Hills that provide a crucial corridor for wildlife like mountain lions, bobcats and deer.
But, as I wrote in October 2015, that land was in danger of being subdivided into a housing development with four mansions, destroying the corridor. This would be devastating for local wildlife, which is already confined because of urban sprawl and freeways with no safe crossing.
To prevent that land from being developed, the “Let’s Buy a Mountain” campaign was launched by advocacy groups including the Laurel Canyon Association, Mountains Recreation & Conservation Authority (MRCA), Citizens for Los Angeles Wildlife (CLAW) and the Laurel Canyon Land Trust.
The goal was to raise the $1.6 million needed to buy the land, which would then be turned over to the MRCA for management and permanent preservation.
Two years later, that goal has been met, thanks to neighborhood special events, concerts, resident and community donations, and government agencies like the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy, which donated $1 million.
“I applaud every donation from $10 to $1,000, but we really couldn’t have crossed the finish line without a couple of very important angel donors,” Tony Tucci, chairman of CLAW, told CBS Los Angeles.
One of those angels also happens to be an Eagle: Don Henley, who donated $100,000 in memory of his bandmate and good friend Glenn Frey, who died in 2016. They both lived near the corridor in the early ’70s, and wrote the Eagles hit “Desperado” there.
“I greatly appreciate your efforts to preserve the rare undeveloped lands that remain in the Laurel Canyon area,” Henley said in a statement. “These resources are precious, both in terms of wildlife habitat and in terms of the human history that resides there.”
The final $300,000 needed to reach the goal was donated by the David Schwartz Foundation. “Protecting open space within thriving cities brings many unique attributes to our daily lives and informs in very important ways, the character of a community,” John Schwartz stated.
A community dedication of the preserve will take place in early 2018. “Our parks and hillside open spaces are the lungs of our city and this mountain ridge is critical habitat to a variety of species including deer, coyote, bobcats, pumas, owls and red-tailed hawks,” Tucci stated. “This land will be maintained as open space where the preservation of natural vegetation and wildlife come first.”
Many thanks to everyone in those groups who worked so hard for this, and to all the people who made large and small donations. And here’s hoping Henley’s generosity and concern for precious resources will inspire another rock star to, as the lyrics of “Desperado” urge, come to his senses — The Edge from U2, who wants to build a five-mansion hillside compound atop a designated environmentally sensitive habitat in Malibu.
This article was first published by Care2.com on 02 Jan 2018.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the UK finally abandon its controversial badger cull? – [2176 Views]
- POLL: Should fox hunting legislation be repealed in the UK? – [2168 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of Grizzly Bears be banned nationwide? – [2013 Views]
- Arctic Fox and Snowy Owl Filmed Doing Strange ‘Dance’ – But Why? – [1882 Views]
- How Sea Shepherd lost battle against Japan’s whale hunters in Antarctic – [1267 Views]
- POLL: Should We Revive Extinct Species? – [1117 Views]
- POLL: Should Lolita the Lonely Orca be Freed? – [1093 Views]
- It’s a Miracle! Wisdom Lays an Egg at Age 67 – [1038 Views]
- POLL: Should drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge be banned? – [1002 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [997 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7733 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [4755 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [4278 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [4061 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3077 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]