An annual contest that encourages hunters to kill as many coyotes as they can in one day will be going ahead on Saturday, despite threats against the organizer.
The DKD Coyote Tournament will be holding its fifth annual competition just outside of Edmonton — the event’s Facebook page says the location of the check-in will be announced the day of.
Teams of two are encouraged to hunt down as many coyotes as possible. Awards are handed out not only for the number caught, but for side categories such as “smallest coyote” and “mangiest coyote.”
The rules specify that coyotes must be hunted: “NO road kills, Poisoned, Trapped, or Snared entries accepted.”
“When we glorify killing at that level… it leaves a bad taste in most people’s mouths,”
The organizer, Paul, who says he only goes by his first name for his family’s safety as he has received threats, told the Calgary Sun he feels the only reason people are upset is because he called the event a “contest.”
Lesley Sampson, a member of Coyote Watch Canada, says culls like this can actually be harmful to the social structure of coyote packs.
“When we glorify killing at that level … it leaves a bad taste in most people’s mouths,” Sampson told CTV News in advance of last year’s hunt.
Coyote hunting is legal in Alberta, as long as the hunter has permission to do so on the land.
“Guys are out shooting coyotes, no matter what. This is just some friendly competition between teams,” says Paul, in an interview with CBC News.
This article was first published by The Huffington Post on 05 Jan 2016.
We invite you to share your opinion whether the Alberta coyote hunting contest should be stopped? Please vote and leave your comments at the bottom of this page:
Thank you for voting.
In the event that you voted to stop the Alberta coyote hunting contest, please sign the petition:
Thank you for your support.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Europe’s Wolves be Rewilded? – [1337 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts – [1072 Views]
- Anti-bird tree spikes: we love cars so much, we destroy nature for them – [1006 Views]
- Coast Guard Rescues Sea Turtle Entangled Amid Bales of Cocaine – [999 Views]
- How Do Squirrels Deal With Cold? They May Not Feel It Like Us – [977 Views]
- Nepal’s Last Dancing Bears Have Been Rescued – [957 Views]
- Poachers Shoot Down Sea Shepherd Drone in the Gulf of Mexico – [925 Views]
- Beak fitness: New Zealand develops roadside gym for endangered keas – [899 Views]
- Florida Is ‘Raining Iguanas.’ Will The Invasive Reptiles Adapt? – [781 Views]
- In early push into Papua, palm oil firms set stage for massive forest plunder – [768 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7792 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [4510 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [4091 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts – [3859 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [3395 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3100 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]