More than 60 percent of Africa’s forest elephants have been killed in the past decade due to the ivory trade, reports a new study published in the online journal PLOS ONE. The study warns that the diminutive elephant species — genetically distinct from the better-known savanna elephant — is rapidly heading toward extinction.
“Saving the species requires a coordinated global effort in the countries where elephants occur – all along the ivory smuggling routes, and at the final destination in the Far East,” added co-author Fiona Maisels, also of WCS. “We don’t have much time before elephants are gone.”
The study is based on the largest-ever set of survey data across five forest elephant range countries: Cameroon, Central African Republic, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Gabon and the Republic of Congo. The study involved more than 60 scientists who spent 91,600 person-days surveying for elephants, walking over 13,000 kilometers (more than 8,000 miles).
Read more at http://news.mongabay.com/2013/0304-forest-elephant-decline.html
SHOW YOU CARE - Let's put 5,000 names on the list with comments for the urgent attention of the EU Authorities.
The petition will be delivered to Professor Hans Bruyninckx, Executive Director of the European Environment Agency (EEA), European Union (EU) in Brussels.
To add your name to the list simply donate the price of a cup of coffee to BirdLife International Charity Reg. No. 1042125.
Leave a Comment
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [6641 Views]
- POLL: Should animals be trophy hunted to support conservation? » [1521 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [1497 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual slaughter of migrating birds be allowed to continue? » [1315 Views]
- Lemmings fuel biggest snowy-owl migration in 50 years » [666 Views]
- Petition: Stop the illegal killing of birds in Southern Europe » [652 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [629 Views]
- Israel sets an example in the protection of migrating birds » [544 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming in Finland be banned? » [475 Views]
- Appeal to all birders: add your name to the list in solidarity » [459 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [33379 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [26804 Views]
- Massive Bird Slaughter Around the Mediterranean – Shocking Photos » [11734 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [11239 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [7501 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [6918 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [6642 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5203 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [4978 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [4736 Views]