I photographed this female Osprey as she came in to land on her nest near the shoreline of the Flaming Gorge Reservoir in north-eastern Utah, quite often when Ospreys land they flare their wings and fan their tails to create enough drag to slow them down. The nest is on a manmade platform near the water and there is plenty of fish in the reservoir to support this Osprey family.
Prior to the image above the Osprey had been on the nest, she had been there for quite a long time and I believe she wanted to spread her wings so she lifted off and flew towards where I stood photographing her, I was zoomed all the way to 400mm.
It looked like she might swing around even closer to me so I backed to zoom up to 200mm to hopefully fit her all in the frame. She tricked me though and flew right back to the nest which is why the top image is at 200mm, I wish I had left it fully zoomed out. Another time perhaps.
Mia McPherson, OntheWingPhotography.com
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Mia McPherson is a nature lover, wildlife watcher and an avian photographer. Mia first become serious about bird photography when she moved to Florida in 2004. Her recent move to the Salt Lake area of Utah was a great opportunity to continue observing their behavior and photographing them. With so many birds species there easily accessible it wasn’t long before she was hooked. By learning more about each species, she can anticipate their behaviour and create opportunities to obtain ever better images of those species.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2470 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? [1798 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [1779 Views]
- POLL: Should the USDA stop using cyanide bombs to control predators? [1540 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [1487 Views]
- POLL: Should Norway stop the annual slaughter of whales? [1277 Views]
- Badger buries entire cow in shocking new video [1053 Views]
- Is ‘Baiting’ an ethical way to photograph wild owls? [948 Views]
- POLL: Should the sale of rhino horns be legalized? [841 Views]
- POLL: Should Australia’s feral horses be controlled by aerial culling? [727 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42073 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16838 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [14125 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [12669 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11132 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8641 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8315 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8061 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7428 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? [5378 Views]