I photographed this female Osprey as she came in to land on her nest near the shoreline of the Flaming Gorge Reservoir in north-eastern Utah, quite often when Ospreys land they flare their wings and fan their tails to create enough drag to slow them down. The nest is on a manmade platform near the water and there is plenty of fish in the reservoir to support this Osprey family.
Prior to the image above the Osprey had been on the nest, she had been there for quite a long time and I believe she wanted to spread her wings so she lifted off and flew towards where I stood photographing her, I was zoomed all the way to 400mm.
It looked like she might swing around even closer to me so I backed to zoom up to 200mm to hopefully fit her all in the frame. She tricked me though and flew right back to the nest which is why the top image is at 200mm, I wish I had left it fully zoomed out. Another time perhaps.
Mia McPherson, OntheWingPhotography.com
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Mia McPherson is a nature lover, wildlife watcher and an avian photographer. Mia first become serious about bird photography when she moved to Florida in 2004. Her recent move to the Salt Lake area of Utah was a great opportunity to continue observing their behavior and photographing them. With so many birds species there easily accessible it wasn’t long before she was hooked. By learning more about each species, she can anticipate their behaviour and create opportunities to obtain ever better images of those species.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Saudi authorities sound warning on illegal hunting in rented farms [1497 Views]
- POLL: Should fox-hunting laws be strictly enforced? [1158 Views]
- POLL: Should the bear bile trade ban be strictly enforced? [985 Views]
- POLL: Should the harvesting of wild turtles be banned? [923 Views]
- POLL: Should this Canadian pipeline project be scrapped to save killer whales? [890 Views]
- The man saving 30,000 seabirds [791 Views]
- Elephant refugees flee to last stronghold in Africa [775 Views]
- 7 stunning forest birds we could soon lose forever [774 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [708 Views]
- Another Hen Harrier shot dead sparking fears for rare bird of prey [665 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41920 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16661 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [14027 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13457 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11093 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [8540 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8468 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8287 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8019 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7321 Views]