I photographed this female Osprey as she came in to land on her nest near the shoreline of the Flaming Gorge Reservoir in north-eastern Utah, quite often when Ospreys land they flare their wings and fan their tails to create enough drag to slow them down. The nest is on a manmade platform near the water and there is plenty of fish in the reservoir to support this Osprey family.
Prior to the image above the Osprey had been on the nest, she had been there for quite a long time and I believe she wanted to spread her wings so she lifted off and flew towards where I stood photographing her, I was zoomed all the way to 400mm.
It looked like she might swing around even closer to me so I backed to zoom up to 200mm to hopefully fit her all in the frame. She tricked me though and flew right back to the nest which is why the top image is at 200mm, I wish I had left it fully zoomed out. Another time perhaps.
Mia McPherson, OntheWingPhotography.com
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Mia McPherson is a nature lover, wildlife watcher and an avian photographer. Mia first become serious about bird photography when she moved to Florida in 2004. Her recent move to the Salt Lake area of Utah was a great opportunity to continue observing their behavior and photographing them. With so many birds species there easily accessible it wasn’t long before she was hooked. By learning more about each species, she can anticipate their behaviour and create opportunities to obtain ever better images of those species.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should buzzards be killed to protect pheasants? [1552 Views]
- POLL: Should Norway’s plan to cull its wolves be abandoned? [1263 Views]
- POLL: Should Namibia’s cape fur seal trade be banned? [910 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [822 Views]
- POLL: Should moose be added to the endangered species list? [809 Views]
- New Zealand kea, the world’s only alpine parrot, faces extinction [655 Views]
- Video: Great White Shark breaks into diver’s cage [639 Views]
- Humanity driving ‘unprecedented’ marine extinction [621 Views]
- China accused of defying its own ban on breeding tigers to profit from body parts [567 Views]
- POLL: Should all countries worldwide ban the trade in elephant ivory? [436 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41884 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16601 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [14040 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13402 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11085 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8424 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8281 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [8247 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8012 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7279 Views]