I photographed this female Osprey as she came in to land on her nest near the shoreline of the Flaming Gorge Reservoir in north-eastern Utah, quite often when Ospreys land they flare their wings and fan their tails to create enough drag to slow them down. The nest is on a manmade platform near the water and there is plenty of fish in the reservoir to support this Osprey family.
Prior to the image above the Osprey had been on the nest, she had been there for quite a long time and I believe she wanted to spread her wings so she lifted off and flew towards where I stood photographing her, I was zoomed all the way to 400mm.
It looked like she might swing around even closer to me so I backed to zoom up to 200mm to hopefully fit her all in the frame. She tricked me though and flew right back to the nest which is why the top image is at 200mm, I wish I had left it fully zoomed out. Another time perhaps.
Mia McPherson, OntheWingPhotography.com
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Mia McPherson is a nature lover, wildlife watcher and an avian photographer. Mia first become serious about bird photography when she moved to Florida in 2004. Her recent move to the Salt Lake area of Utah was a great opportunity to continue observing their behavior and photographing them. With so many birds species there easily accessible it wasn’t long before she was hooked. By learning more about each species, she can anticipate their behaviour and create opportunities to obtain ever better images of those species.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the export of elephants to China be banned? [2014 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers be allowed to continue? [1376 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of Borneo’s pygmy elephants be stopped? [1102 Views]
- New year, new birds: 10 newly-recognised species [1047 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [966 Views]
- This man has just broken the record for most bird species seen in a year [893 Views]
- New Estimate: There are Over 18,000 Bird Species on Earth [726 Views]
- POLL: Should the Hawksbill turtle trade be closed down? [716 Views]
- POLL: Should orca entertainment shows be universally banned? [715 Views]
- Kissing cows are to blame for bovine TB – so stop this bloody badger cull [695 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41997 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16721 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [13917 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13716 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11108 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [9959 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8544 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8295 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8033 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7356 Views]