More than 260 geese were rounded up for slaughter at the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge Tuesday morning as part of an ongoing effort to reduce bird strikes at nearby JFK Airport. United States Department of Agriculture workers arrived at the sanctuary in the morning and corralled the geese into crates. This is the second time in as many years that a massacre of wildlife was conducted at what is supposed to be a refuge.
The birds will be euthanized and their meat sent to food pantries, said National Park Service spokeswoman Daphne Yun. But that didn’t satisfy opponents of the city’s ongoing effort to eradicate the birds.
“I watched the geese thump against the crates struggling to get out,” David Karopkin wrote on his GooseWatch NYC blog after witnessing the round-up. “I am heartbroken and angry.”
Similar culling has taken place around the city in locations near JFK and LaGuardia airports. About a dozen geese and goslings were netted at Inwood Hill Park last month. And in 2010, hundreds of geese were killed in Prospect Park, far from any of the city airfields.
Yun said the geese were not only a hazard to airplanes but also damaged delicate plantings in Jamaica Bay, threatening efforts to re-establish salt marshes.
“They don’t just eat grass, they rip out the roots of the grass,” she said.
This article was written by Lisa L. Colangelo for the New York Daily News.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [3865 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? » [2835 Views]
- POLL: Should the Spanish bullfighting tradition be banned? » [2187 Views]
- POLL: Should the grey squirrel be culled to protect the red squirrel? » [1521 Views]
- POLL: Should there be an international agreement to protect the arctic? » [1434 Views]
- POLL: Should the export of baby elephants to China be stopped? » [1431 Views]
- After 60 million years of extreme living, seabirds are crashing » [1400 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [1317 Views]
- POLL: Should “Drive Hunt” Slaughter of Wildlife be Banned? » [1312 Views]
- POLL: Should the illegal slaughter of songbirds in Cyprus be stopped? » [1299 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? » [14074 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [11285 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [8382 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [8024 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [5420 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [5041 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4763 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4342 Views]
- POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? » [3955 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [3886 Views]