More than 260 geese were rounded up for slaughter at the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge Tuesday morning as part of an ongoing effort to reduce bird strikes at nearby JFK Airport. United States Department of Agriculture workers arrived at the sanctuary in the morning and corralled the geese into crates. This is the second time in as many years that a massacre of wildlife was conducted at what is supposed to be a refuge.
The birds will be euthanized and their meat sent to food pantries, said National Park Service spokeswoman Daphne Yun. But that didn’t satisfy opponents of the city’s ongoing effort to eradicate the birds.
“I watched the geese thump against the crates struggling to get out,” David Karopkin wrote on his GooseWatch NYC blog after witnessing the round-up. “I am heartbroken and angry.”
Similar culling has taken place around the city in locations near JFK and LaGuardia airports. About a dozen geese and goslings were netted at Inwood Hill Park last month. And in 2010, hundreds of geese were killed in Prospect Park, far from any of the city airfields.
Yun said the geese were not only a hazard to airplanes but also damaged delicate plantings in Jamaica Bay, threatening efforts to re-establish salt marshes.
“They don’t just eat grass, they rip out the roots of the grass,” she said.
This article was written by Lisa L. Colangelo for the New York Daily News.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [2281 Views]
- Shooters set their sights on UK’s last remaining ruddy ducks » [579 Views]
- 87 new bird species considered threatened with extinction » [546 Views]
- 13 newly-discovered birds declared extinct » [427 Views]
- Monkeys use field scientists as human shields against predators » [422 Views]
- Software can decode bird songs » [376 Views]
- Over a million pangolins slaughtered in the last decade » [373 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [341 Views]
- Hundreds of thousands of birds accidentally poisoned every year » [331 Views]
- POLL: RSPB picks a fight over grouse shooting » [328 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [28188 Views]
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [13839 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [12177 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [7928 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7908 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7005 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5605 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [5156 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4591 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [4145 Views]