More than 260 geese were rounded up for slaughter at the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge Tuesday morning as part of an ongoing effort to reduce bird strikes at nearby JFK Airport. United States Department of Agriculture workers arrived at the sanctuary in the morning and corralled the geese into crates. This is the second time in as many years that a massacre of wildlife was conducted at what is supposed to be a refuge.
The birds will be euthanized and their meat sent to food pantries, said National Park Service spokeswoman Daphne Yun. But that didn’t satisfy opponents of the city’s ongoing effort to eradicate the birds.
“I watched the geese thump against the crates struggling to get out,” David Karopkin wrote on his GooseWatch NYC blog after witnessing the round-up. “I am heartbroken and angry.”
Similar culling has taken place around the city in locations near JFK and LaGuardia airports. About a dozen geese and goslings were netted at Inwood Hill Park last month. And in 2010, hundreds of geese were killed in Prospect Park, far from any of the city airfields.
Yun said the geese were not only a hazard to airplanes but also damaged delicate plantings in Jamaica Bay, threatening efforts to re-establish salt marshes.
“They don’t just eat grass, they rip out the roots of the grass,” she said.
This article was written by Lisa L. Colangelo for the New York Daily News.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [758 Views]
- Iceland’s Seabird Colonies Are Vanishing, With “Massive” Chick Deaths » [557 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [479 Views]
- The 1,300 Bird Species Facing Extinction Signal Threats to Human Health » [424 Views]
- Barn owls ‘threatened’ by new legislation » [403 Views]
- Russia Stops Japanese Whaling Ship Dead In Its Tracks » [385 Views]
- VOTE for the Best Photo of the Week 20 Sep 2014 » [361 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [336 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [330 Views]
- Petition: Russia, Stop Wild Orca Captures! » [318 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [12272 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7934 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [7425 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7016 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [6933 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5639 Views]
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [5409 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [5214 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4699 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [4396 Views]