More than 260 geese were rounded up for slaughter at the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge Tuesday morning as part of an ongoing effort to reduce bird strikes at nearby JFK Airport. United States Department of Agriculture workers arrived at the sanctuary in the morning and corralled the geese into crates. This is the second time in as many years that a massacre of wildlife was conducted at what is supposed to be a refuge.
The birds will be euthanized and their meat sent to food pantries, said National Park Service spokeswoman Daphne Yun. But that didn’t satisfy opponents of the city’s ongoing effort to eradicate the birds.
“I watched the geese thump against the crates struggling to get out,” David Karopkin wrote on his GooseWatch NYC blog after witnessing the round-up. “I am heartbroken and angry.”
Similar culling has taken place around the city in locations near JFK and LaGuardia airports. About a dozen geese and goslings were netted at Inwood Hill Park last month. And in 2010, hundreds of geese were killed in Prospect Park, far from any of the city airfields.
Yun said the geese were not only a hazard to airplanes but also damaged delicate plantings in Jamaica Bay, threatening efforts to re-establish salt marshes.
“They don’t just eat grass, they rip out the roots of the grass,” she said.
This article was written by Lisa L. Colangelo for the New York Daily News.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Poll: Should badger culls be continued in the UK? » [909 Views]
- Poll: Should hunting of black bears in Florida be allowed? » [904 Views]
- Fishermen get crafty to circumvent shark fin ban » [674 Views]
- Weasel photographed riding on a woodpecker’s back » [673 Views]
- Viral Video: Stealthy Octopus Leaps From Water and Attacks Crab » [593 Views]
- After a cruel attack, an injured toucan will get its beak back, thanks to 3D printing » [487 Views]
- Blue-Bearded Helmetcrest Rediscovered in Colombia, Photographed for First Time » [483 Views]
- Owl attacks prompt Dutch town to arm itself with umbrellas » [467 Views]
- Appeal to all birders and wildlife enthusiasts: add your name to the list in solidarity » [452 Views]
- Poll: Should koalas be culled in overpopulated areas to prevent starvation? » [442 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10680 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4229 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [3772 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [3574 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3547 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2926 Views]
- Poll: Should hunting of black bears in Florida be allowed? » [2886 Views]
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [2820 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [2647 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [2645 Views]