More than 260 geese were rounded up for slaughter at the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge Tuesday morning as part of an ongoing effort to reduce bird strikes at nearby JFK Airport. United States Department of Agriculture workers arrived at the sanctuary in the morning and corralled the geese into crates. This is the second time in as many years that a massacre of wildlife was conducted at what is supposed to be a refuge.
The birds will be euthanized and their meat sent to food pantries, said National Park Service spokeswoman Daphne Yun. But that didn’t satisfy opponents of the city’s ongoing effort to eradicate the birds.
“I watched the geese thump against the crates struggling to get out,” David Karopkin wrote on his GooseWatch NYC blog after witnessing the round-up. “I am heartbroken and angry.”
Similar culling has taken place around the city in locations near JFK and LaGuardia airports. About a dozen geese and goslings were netted at Inwood Hill Park last month. And in 2010, hundreds of geese were killed in Prospect Park, far from any of the city airfields.
Yun said the geese were not only a hazard to airplanes but also damaged delicate plantings in Jamaica Bay, threatening efforts to re-establish salt marshes.
“They don’t just eat grass, they rip out the roots of the grass,” she said.
This article was written by Lisa L. Colangelo for the New York Daily News.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [6200 Views]
- Poll: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [1505 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [1169 Views]
- Angry hippo flings newborn calf into the air » [1159 Views]
- Recently rediscovered hummingbird faces extinction » [1075 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [838 Views]
- Thought-to-be-extinct ‘halloween’ frog rediscovered in Costa Rica » [736 Views]
- The triumph of the bison: Europe’s biggest animal bounces back a century after vanishing » [686 Views]
- Butterfly wings inspire cosmetics and bomb detectors » [627 Views]
- Police probe ship’s crew after nabbing smuggler with 24 rare birds in plastic bottles » [604 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [11808 Views]
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10679 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [6430 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [3997 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3792 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [3706 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [3530 Views]
- Poll: Should hunting of black bears in Florida be allowed? » [3002 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2962 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [2703 Views]