More than 260 geese were rounded up for slaughter at the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge Tuesday morning as part of an ongoing effort to reduce bird strikes at nearby JFK Airport. United States Department of Agriculture workers arrived at the sanctuary in the morning and corralled the geese into crates. This is the second time in as many years that a massacre of wildlife was conducted at what is supposed to be a refuge.
The birds will be euthanized and their meat sent to food pantries, said National Park Service spokeswoman Daphne Yun. But that didn’t satisfy opponents of the city’s ongoing effort to eradicate the birds.
“I watched the geese thump against the crates struggling to get out,” David Karopkin wrote on his GooseWatch NYC blog after witnessing the round-up. “I am heartbroken and angry.”
Similar culling has taken place around the city in locations near JFK and LaGuardia airports. About a dozen geese and goslings were netted at Inwood Hill Park last month. And in 2010, hundreds of geese were killed in Prospect Park, far from any of the city airfields.
Yun said the geese were not only a hazard to airplanes but also damaged delicate plantings in Jamaica Bay, threatening efforts to re-establish salt marshes.
“They don’t just eat grass, they rip out the roots of the grass,” she said.
This article was written by Lisa L. Colangelo for the New York Daily News.
Leave a Comment
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Israel leads the way using Barn Owls and Kestrels to replace Rodenticides » [1642 Views]
- POLL: Should spring hunting on Malta be stopped? » [800 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [726 Views]
- Drone Captures Stunning Birds’-eye Video of Dolphin Superpod » [725 Views]
- How a River Otter Can Bag an Alligator for Lunch » [621 Views]
- POLL: Should the US ban the import and export of tiger bone wine? » [617 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [528 Views]
- HELP migrating birds WIN the “Race for Conservation” today » [470 Views]
- Europe approves vet drug that killed off almost all of Asia’s vultures » [444 Views]
- New York Backtracks on Plans to Eradicate Mute Swans » [432 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [33592 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [27272 Views]
- Massive Bird Slaughter Around the Mediterranean – Shocking Photos » [11863 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [11338 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [7946 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7663 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [6974 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5228 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [5162 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [4881 Views]