More than 260 geese were rounded up for slaughter at the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge Tuesday morning as part of an ongoing effort to reduce bird strikes at nearby JFK Airport. United States Department of Agriculture workers arrived at the sanctuary in the morning and corralled the geese into crates. This is the second time in as many years that a massacre of wildlife was conducted at what is supposed to be a refuge.
The birds will be euthanized and their meat sent to food pantries, said National Park Service spokeswoman Daphne Yun. But that didn’t satisfy opponents of the city’s ongoing effort to eradicate the birds.
“I watched the geese thump against the crates struggling to get out,” David Karopkin wrote on his GooseWatch NYC blog after witnessing the round-up. “I am heartbroken and angry.”
Similar culling has taken place around the city in locations near JFK and LaGuardia airports. About a dozen geese and goslings were netted at Inwood Hill Park last month. And in 2010, hundreds of geese were killed in Prospect Park, far from any of the city airfields.
Yun said the geese were not only a hazard to airplanes but also damaged delicate plantings in Jamaica Bay, threatening efforts to re-establish salt marshes.
“They don’t just eat grass, they rip out the roots of the grass,” she said.
This article was written by Lisa L. Colangelo for the New York Daily News.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [782 Views]
- Shot Egyptian vulture leads conservationists to bizarre black-market for bird parts » [602 Views]
- Cuckoos’ shameless egg-laying tactics revealed » [459 Views]
- Japan kills 30 minke whales in first hunt since UN court order » [441 Views]
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [430 Views]
- Albatross Internet Darling Takes First Flight » [366 Views]
- Elachuridae: Ornithologists Describe New Family of Passerine Birds » [349 Views]
- Software can decode bird songs » [315 Views]
- Threatened Species ‘Red List’ Warns 90 Percent of Lemur Species Face Extinction » [315 Views]
- Video: Polar Bear Cam Provides Unique View into Arctic Life » [314 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [33741 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [27995 Views]
- Massive Bird Slaughter Around the Mediterranean – Shocking Photos » [12169 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [12097 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [9859 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7862 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [6998 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [5526 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5269 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [5096 Views]