More than 260 geese were rounded up for slaughter at the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge Tuesday morning as part of an ongoing effort to reduce bird strikes at nearby JFK Airport. United States Department of Agriculture workers arrived at the sanctuary in the morning and corralled the geese into crates. This is the second time in as many years that a massacre of wildlife was conducted at what is supposed to be a refuge.
The birds will be euthanized and their meat sent to food pantries, said National Park Service spokeswoman Daphne Yun. But that didn’t satisfy opponents of the city’s ongoing effort to eradicate the birds.
“I watched the geese thump against the crates struggling to get out,” David Karopkin wrote on his GooseWatch NYC blog after witnessing the round-up. “I am heartbroken and angry.”
Similar culling has taken place around the city in locations near JFK and LaGuardia airports. About a dozen geese and goslings were netted at Inwood Hill Park last month. And in 2010, hundreds of geese were killed in Prospect Park, far from any of the city airfields.
Yun said the geese were not only a hazard to airplanes but also damaged delicate plantings in Jamaica Bay, threatening efforts to re-establish salt marshes.
“They don’t just eat grass, they rip out the roots of the grass,” she said.
This article was written by Lisa L. Colangelo for the New York Daily News.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Saudi authorities sound warning on illegal hunting in rented farms [1489 Views]
- POLL: Should the harvesting of wild turtles be banned? [915 Views]
- POLL: Should this Canadian pipeline project be scrapped to save killer whales? [870 Views]
- The man saving 30,000 seabirds [787 Views]
- 7 stunning forest birds we could soon lose forever [738 Views]
- Another Hen Harrier shot dead sparking fears for rare bird of prey [663 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [658 Views]
- POLL: Should the bear bile trade ban be strictly enforced? [636 Views]
- 13 birds that aren’t for the faint of heart [633 Views]
- POLL: Should hare coursing be banned in Ireland? [544 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41916 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16649 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [14027 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13443 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11093 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8457 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [8416 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8287 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8019 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7319 Views]