More than 260 geese were rounded up for slaughter at the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge Tuesday morning as part of an ongoing effort to reduce bird strikes at nearby JFK Airport. United States Department of Agriculture workers arrived at the sanctuary in the morning and corralled the geese into crates. This is the second time in as many years that a massacre of wildlife was conducted at what is supposed to be a refuge.
The birds will be euthanized and their meat sent to food pantries, said National Park Service spokeswoman Daphne Yun. But that didn’t satisfy opponents of the city’s ongoing effort to eradicate the birds.
“I watched the geese thump against the crates struggling to get out,” David Karopkin wrote on his GooseWatch NYC blog after witnessing the round-up. “I am heartbroken and angry.”
Similar culling has taken place around the city in locations near JFK and LaGuardia airports. About a dozen geese and goslings were netted at Inwood Hill Park last month. And in 2010, hundreds of geese were killed in Prospect Park, far from any of the city airfields.
Yun said the geese were not only a hazard to airplanes but also damaged delicate plantings in Jamaica Bay, threatening efforts to re-establish salt marshes.
“They don’t just eat grass, they rip out the roots of the grass,” she said.
This article was written by Lisa L. Colangelo for the New York Daily News.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Poll: Should hunting of black bears in Florida be allowed? » [1979 Views]
- In Photos: “Drunk” mountain gorilla punches wildlife photographer » [1157 Views]
- Inaguan Lyretail: Scientists Unveil New Species of Hummingbird » [1043 Views]
- Hilarious Video: Attenborough interrupted by Bird of Paradise » [745 Views]
- Owl attacks joggers and steals their hats » [660 Views]
- Poll: Should the illegal trapping of birds in Cyprus be stopped? » [651 Views]
- Poll: Should Zimbabwe be allowed to export baby elephants? » [617 Views]
- Desert Tawny Owl: New Species of Bird Discovered » [597 Views]
- Video: Superb Owl Sunday » [578 Views]
- Threatened species given lifeline by new bait developed to kill feral cats » [573 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10682 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4558 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4136 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [3781 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3469 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2917 Views]
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [2842 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [2662 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [2648 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [2449 Views]