More than 260 geese were rounded up for slaughter at the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge Tuesday morning as part of an ongoing effort to reduce bird strikes at nearby JFK Airport. United States Department of Agriculture workers arrived at the sanctuary in the morning and corralled the geese into crates. This is the second time in as many years that a massacre of wildlife was conducted at what is supposed to be a refuge.
The birds will be euthanized and their meat sent to food pantries, said National Park Service spokeswoman Daphne Yun. But that didn’t satisfy opponents of the city’s ongoing effort to eradicate the birds.
“I watched the geese thump against the crates struggling to get out,” David Karopkin wrote on his GooseWatch NYC blog after witnessing the round-up. “I am heartbroken and angry.”
Similar culling has taken place around the city in locations near JFK and LaGuardia airports. About a dozen geese and goslings were netted at Inwood Hill Park last month. And in 2010, hundreds of geese were killed in Prospect Park, far from any of the city airfields.
Yun said the geese were not only a hazard to airplanes but also damaged delicate plantings in Jamaica Bay, threatening efforts to re-establish salt marshes.
“They don’t just eat grass, they rip out the roots of the grass,” she said.
This article was written by Lisa L. Colangelo for the New York Daily News.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? » [2395 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a ban on importing lion trophies? » [2137 Views]
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [1911 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [1879 Views]
- POLL: Can lion trophy hunting support conservation? » [1827 Views]
- Video: Behold the iridescent glory of hummingbird feathers! » [1764 Views]
- POLL: When bears kill humans should they be slaughtered? » [1444 Views]
- Night parrot capture and tagging hailed as ‘holy grail’ moment for bird lovers » [1414 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [1404 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dallas Safari Club Auction be stopped? » [1367 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? » [13842 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [11224 Views]
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10750 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7948 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [7641 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [4992 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4689 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4195 Views]
- POLL: Should the ban on South Africa’s horn trade be lifted? » [3500 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [3497 Views]