More than 260 geese were rounded up for slaughter at the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge Tuesday morning as part of an ongoing effort to reduce bird strikes at nearby JFK Airport. United States Department of Agriculture workers arrived at the sanctuary in the morning and corralled the geese into crates. This is the second time in as many years that a massacre of wildlife was conducted at what is supposed to be a refuge.
The birds will be euthanized and their meat sent to food pantries, said National Park Service spokeswoman Daphne Yun. But that didn’t satisfy opponents of the city’s ongoing effort to eradicate the birds.
“I watched the geese thump against the crates struggling to get out,” David Karopkin wrote on his GooseWatch NYC blog after witnessing the round-up. “I am heartbroken and angry.”
Similar culling has taken place around the city in locations near JFK and LaGuardia airports. About a dozen geese and goslings were netted at Inwood Hill Park last month. And in 2010, hundreds of geese were killed in Prospect Park, far from any of the city airfields.
Yun said the geese were not only a hazard to airplanes but also damaged delicate plantings in Jamaica Bay, threatening efforts to re-establish salt marshes.
“They don’t just eat grass, they rip out the roots of the grass,” she said.
This article was written by Lisa L. Colangelo for the New York Daily News.
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- » Focusing on Wildlife [2554 Views]
- PETITION: Stop the massive slaughter of migratory birds in Egypt! » Focusing on Wildlife [1819 Views]
- POLL: Should canned hunting in Arizona be banned? » Focusing on Wildlife [1708 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » Focusing on Wildlife [1254 Views]
- If You Care About Birds, Watch This 4-Minute Video » Focusing on Wildlife [1170 Views]
- ‘Lost’ bird rediscovered in New Caledonia along with 16 potentially new species » Focusing on Wildlife [1162 Views]
- » Focusing on Wildlife [1105 Views]
- » Focusing on Wildlife [1096 Views]
- » Focusing on Wildlife [952 Views]
- POLL: Should the kill quota on cougars be increased in New Mexico? » Focusing on Wildlife [890 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » Focusing on Wildlife [32406 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » Focusing on Wildlife [25885 Views]
- Massive Bird Slaughter Around the Mediterranean – Shocking Photos » Focusing on Wildlife [11370 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » Focusing on Wildlife [9681 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » Focusing on Wildlife [6674 Views]
- POLL: Should the trial cull of badgers go ahead? » Focusing on Wildlife [4362 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » Focusing on Wildlife [4314 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » Focusing on Wildlife [4242 Views]
- Cyclist Has Amazing Encounter with a Mountain Lion in Los Angeles » Focusing on Wildlife [3842 Views]
- Egypt is the Worst Place to Be a Migratory Bird – Shocking Video » Focusing on Wildlife [3575 Views]