The Roseate Spoonbill (Platalea ajaja) is a rather bizarre wading bird of Florida and Central and South America. This heron-sized member of the Ibis family (Threskiamithidae) is easily recognized by it’s pink plumage and spatulate bill.
Most often found swishing it’s bill from side to side as it wades in shallow pond edges and drainage ditches, it feeds on crustaceans, small fish and marine invertebrates.
The Spoonbill’s distinctive coloration, whichranges from very pale pink to dark magenta, is the result of it’s diet. Flying in a shallow wingbeat and gliding motion with outstretced neck, Spoonbills are often mistaken for Flamingoes.
Visitors to Florida are most likely to see Roseate Spoonbills in the Everglades, Big Cypress Preserve or the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island.
Please visit “Field Notes and Photos” http://fieldnotes-steve.blogspot.com/ to see more of Florida’s flora and fauna.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Steven Scott is a photonaturalist blogger based in Florida and Maine. He has surveyed butterflies with Earthwatch Institute in the mountains of Vietnam, tagged juvenile snook with Mote Marine Laboratory in the mangroves of Florida and filmed a BioBlitz insect survey in Acadia National Park. A registered nurse and retired Army officer, Steven believes man is an integral part of nature and travels annually to Vietnam with humanitarian medical teams from Vets With a Mission.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should buzzards be killed to protect pheasants? [1556 Views]
- POLL: Should Namibia’s cape fur seal trade be banned? [910 Views]
- POLL: Should moose be added to the endangered species list? [811 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [716 Views]
- Video: Great White Shark breaks into diver’s cage [685 Views]
- New Zealand kea, the world’s only alpine parrot, faces extinction [668 Views]
- China accused of defying its own ban on breeding tigers to profit from body parts [579 Views]
- POLL: Should all countries worldwide ban the trade in elephant ivory? [445 Views]
- POLL: Should wild animals be kept in zoos? [439 Views]
- POLL: Should ticket sales to cruel wildlife attractions be banned? [429 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41885 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16606 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [14033 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13404 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11085 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8428 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8281 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [8263 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8012 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7281 Views]