The Roseate Spoonbill (Platalea ajaja) is a rather bizarre wading bird of Florida and Central and South America. This heron-sized member of the Ibis family (Threskiamithidae) is easily recognized by it’s pink plumage and spatulate bill.
Most often found swishing it’s bill from side to side as it wades in shallow pond edges and drainage ditches, it feeds on crustaceans, small fish and marine invertebrates.
The Spoonbill’s distinctive coloration, whichranges from very pale pink to dark magenta, is the result of it’s diet. Flying in a shallow wingbeat and gliding motion with outstretced neck, Spoonbills are often mistaken for Flamingoes.
Visitors to Florida are most likely to see Roseate Spoonbills in the Everglades, Big Cypress Preserve or the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island.
Please visit “Field Notes and Photos” http://fieldnotes-steve.blogspot.com/ to see more of Florida’s flora and fauna.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Steven Scott is a photonaturalist blogger based in Florida and Maine. He has surveyed butterflies with Earthwatch Institute in the mountains of Vietnam, tagged juvenile snook with Mote Marine Laboratory in the mangroves of Florida and filmed a BioBlitz insect survey in Acadia National Park. A registered nurse and retired Army officer, Steven believes man is an integral part of nature and travels annually to Vietnam with humanitarian medical teams from Vets With a Mission.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Saudi authorities sound warning on illegal hunting in rented farms [1499 Views]
- POLL: Should fox-hunting laws be strictly enforced? [1329 Views]
- POLL: Should the bear bile trade ban be strictly enforced? [1068 Views]
- POLL: Should the harvesting of wild turtles be banned? [925 Views]
- POLL: Should this Canadian pipeline project be scrapped to save killer whales? [894 Views]
- Elephant refugees flee to last stronghold in Africa [826 Views]
- The man saving 30,000 seabirds [797 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [785 Views]
- 7 stunning forest birds we could soon lose forever [777 Views]
- 14 Incredible photos of African predators in action [757 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41943 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16665 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [14025 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13461 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11096 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [8673 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8482 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8289 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8021 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7321 Views]