The Roseate Spoonbill (Platalea ajaja) is a rather bizarre wading bird of Florida and Central and South America. This heron-sized member of the Ibis family (Threskiamithidae) is easily recognized by it’s pink plumage and spatulate bill.
Most often found swishing it’s bill from side to side as it wades in shallow pond edges and drainage ditches, it feeds on crustaceans, small fish and marine invertebrates.
The Spoonbill’s distinctive coloration, whichranges from very pale pink to dark magenta, is the result of it’s diet. Flying in a shallow wingbeat and gliding motion with outstretced neck, Spoonbills are often mistaken for Flamingoes.
Visitors to Florida are most likely to see Roseate Spoonbills in the Everglades, Big Cypress Preserve or the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island.
Please visit “Field Notes and Photos” http://fieldnotes-steve.blogspot.com/ to see more of Florida’s flora and fauna.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Steven Scott is a photonaturalist blogger based in Florida and Maine. He has surveyed butterflies with Earthwatch Institute in the mountains of Vietnam, tagged juvenile snook with Mote Marine Laboratory in the mangroves of Florida and filmed a BioBlitz insect survey in Acadia National Park. A registered nurse and retired Army officer, Steven believes man is an integral part of nature and travels annually to Vietnam with humanitarian medical teams from Vets With a Mission.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2424 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [1471 Views]
- POLL: Should Alaska’s refuges be opened for hunting again? [1366 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [1184 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? [1051 Views]
- Badger buries entire cow in shocking new video [1041 Views]
- POLL: Should Norway stop the annual slaughter of whales? [1018 Views]
- Is ‘Baiting’ an ethical way to photograph wild owls? [901 Views]
- POLL: Should the sale of rhino horns be legalized? [822 Views]
- POLL: Should Australia’s feral horses be controlled by aerial culling? [725 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42071 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16834 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [14015 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [12562 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11129 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8632 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8313 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8059 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7427 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? [5377 Views]