The Roseate Spoonbill (Platalea ajaja) is a rather bizarre wading bird of Florida and Central and South America. This heron-sized member of the Ibis family (Threskiamithidae) is easily recognized by it’s pink plumage and spatulate bill.
Most often found swishing it’s bill from side to side as it wades in shallow pond edges and drainage ditches, it feeds on crustaceans, small fish and marine invertebrates.
The Spoonbill’s distinctive coloration, which ranges from very pale pink to dark magenta, is the result of it’s diet. Flying in a shallow wingbeat and gliding motion with outstretced neck, Spoonbills are often mistaken for Flamingoes.
Visitors to Florida are most likely to see Roseate Spoonbills in the Everglades, Big Cypress Preserve or the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island.
Please visit “Field Notes and Photos” http://fieldnotes-steve.blogspot.com/ to see more of Florida’s flora and fauna.
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Fishing ban proposed near Rockall after rare scientific finds » Focusing on Wildlife [437 Views]
- Best Photo of the Week Competition 15 Jun 2013 » Focusing on Wildlife [372 Views]
- Are seagulls killing whales in Patagonia? » Focusing on Wildlife [327 Views]
- Government licensed secret buzzard egg destruction, documents reveal » Focusing on Wildlife [324 Views]
- Government approved cull of endangered birds on Duke of Westminster’s Estate » Focusing on Wildlife [241 Views]
- Elephants massacred for ivory in Central African Republic » Focusing on Wildlife [214 Views]
- More Than 600 Seabirds and Penguins Found Dead » Focusing on Wildlife [198 Views]
- Sea-kayaking with a minke whale – in pictures » Focusing on Wildlife [198 Views]
- Tibetan monks partner with conservationists to protect the snow leopard » Focusing on Wildlife [195 Views]
- Scientists capture one of the world’s rarest big cats on film (photos) » Focusing on Wildlife [194 Views]
Explore These Popular Posts From Last Year
- Shocking Amur Falcon Massacre in Nagaland » [1830 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [1657 Views]
- Orange County (California) Birds of Prey » [1222 Views]
- Please promote our logo for wildlife conservation » [1206 Views]
- NATURE “Magic of the Snowy Owl” – Preview – PBS » [1041 Views]
- Insects » [1004 Views]
- Gorillas Win vs. Poachers » [959 Views]
- Wildlife Slaughter in South Dakota » [585 Views]
- Interview with Steve Mills, Award Winning Photographer » [511 Views]
- The Golden Eagle in Scotland – As climatic changes take hold, what future awaits these iconic raptors in the 21st Century? » [504 Views]