Two kinds of people sign up for African safaris. Most, myself included, want to see “The Big Five”–-lion, leopard, rhino, buffalo, and elephant. The other people are the birders.
So when my birder father announces he wants to join me on a trip to Botswana I have planned for myself, I clarify, “This is not a birding trip.”
“I won’t mention my interest in birds to anyone,” he replies.
As we climb into the open Land Rover for our first wildlife drive, our guide Tim asks, “Are either of you birders?”
“I’m not. I want to focus on mammals, especially lions and elephants,” I respond with an I’m –in –charge attitude.
Then my father says, “this is my daughters trip, but if we see a bird or two, that would be great.” Tim’s face lights up, and I realize I’m doomed.
A few minutes into our drive, we stop. “My first lilac breasted roller,” my dad announces with pride.
The colorful feathers shimmer in the first morning light. I must admit, it is a beautiful bird.
During the next hour we stop and stare at every brown, yellow, big, little, flying and sitting bird. I listen to discussions of wing-spans, beak shapes and throat colors, and I learn new names like Hammerkop and Bateleur.Twelve lilac-breasted roller sightings, and many other bird species later, we see a pride of seven lions. I focus my binoculars on the cat’s blood stained fur.
After a few minutes, Tim interrupts my big cat trance, “They aren’t going to do anything, so let’s push onward.”
At our last tented camp on our trip I explain to my father, “It is probably obvious by the name of this place, Savute Elephant Camp, that I really want to focus on elephants here, not birds.”
“ Of course,” he agrees.
I hire Clive, a private guide, to lead us on a bush walk.
“We have no interest in seeing birds,” I tell Clive.
“We’ll try to find the rogue bull elephant that has been in the area,” he says.
I follow Clive and the shotgun slung over his right shoulder; my father behind me. When we catch up to the massive grey bull Clive’s hand motions us to be quiet, and stay close.
“Adolescent males can be unpredictable and dangerous,” he whispers.
Clive signals us to stop; any further would be too close for comfort. The bull moves from one mopane tree to the next, snapping branches like twigs. I turn around to share this adrenaline pumping moment with my father but he is nowhere in sight.
“We can’t follow the elephant until we find your father,” Clive insists. I know he’s right, but I’m reluctant to let the elephant get away from us.
Then I see my father in the distance, half hidden behind a thick bush, his binoculars focused on a lilac-breasted roller.
“Dad, you have seen hundreds of lilac-breasted rollers already, please can you walk with us, the elephant’s getting away,” I plead.
“You’ve seen a hundred elephants,” he retaliates.
We stare at each other for a tension filled moment, and then start to laugh. The noise causes the bird to fly off, while my elephant disappears into thick bush.
Back home in the States my father sends me a gift. It’s a two by three foot size poster of a lilac-breasted roller. He may just make a birder out of me yet.
For more stories, visit my blog at AfricaInside.org
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [3831 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? » [2691 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of black bears in Wisconsin be stopped? » [2444 Views]
- POLL: Should the Spanish bullfighting tradition be banned? » [1949 Views]
- POLL: Should the grey squirrel be culled to protect the red squirrel? » [1497 Views]
- POLL: Should there be an international agreement to protect the arctic? » [1414 Views]
- POLL: Should the export of baby elephants to China be stopped? » [1413 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [1315 Views]
- After 60 million years of extreme living, seabirds are crashing » [1306 Views]
- POLL: Should “Drive Hunt” Slaughter of Wildlife be Banned? » [1270 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? » [14040 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [11283 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [8339 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [8010 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [6840 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [5332 Views]
- POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? » [5226 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4751 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4301 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [3747 Views]