Two kinds of people sign up for African safaris. Most, myself included, want to see “The Big Five”–-lion, leopard, rhino, buffalo, and elephant. The other people are the birders.
So when my birder father announces he wants to join me on a trip to Botswana I have planned for myself, I clarify, “This is not a birding trip.”
“I won’t mention my interest in birds to anyone,” he replies.
As we climb into the open Land Rover for our first wildlife drive, our guide Tim asks, “Are either of you birders?”
“I’m not. I want to focus on mammals, especially lions and elephants,” I respond with an I’m –in –charge attitude.
Then my father says, “this is my daughters trip, but if we see a bird or two, that would be great.” Tim’s face lights up, and I realize I’m doomed.
A few minutes into our drive, we stop. “My first lilac breasted roller,” my dad announces with pride.
The colorful feathers shimmer in the first morning light. I must admit, it is a beautiful bird.
During the next hour we stop and stare at every brown, yellow, big, little, flying and sitting bird. I listen to discussions of wing-spans, beak shapes and throat colors, and I learn new names like Hammerkop and Bateleur. Twelve lilac-breasted roller sightings, and many other bird species later, we see a pride of seven lions. I focus my binoculars on the cat’s blood stained fur.
After a few minutes, Tim interrupts my big cat trance, “They aren’t going to do anything, so let’s push onward.”
At our last tented camp on our trip I explain to my father, “It is probably obvious by the name of this place, Savute Elephant Camp, that I really want to focus on elephants here, not birds.”
“ Of course,” he agrees.
I hire Clive, a private guide, to lead us on a bush walk.
“We have no interest in seeing birds,” I tell Clive.
“We’ll try to find the rogue bull elephant that has been in the area,” he says.
I follow Clive and the shotgun slung over his right shoulder; my father behind me. When we catch up to the massive grey bull Clive’s hand motions us to be quiet, and stay close.
“Adolescent males can be unpredictable and dangerous,” he whispers.
Clive signals us to stop; any further would be too close for comfort. The bull moves from one mopane tree to the next, snapping branches like twigs. I turn around to share this adrenaline pumping moment with my father but he is nowhere in sight.
“We can’t follow the elephant until we find your father,” Clive insists. I know he’s right, but I’m reluctant to let the elephant get away from us.
Then I see my father in the distance, half hidden behind a thick bush, his binoculars focused on a lilac-breasted roller.
“Dad, you have seen hundreds of lilac-breasted rollers already, please can you walk with us, the elephant’s getting away,” I plead.
“You’ve seen a hundred elephants,” he retaliates.
We stare at each other for a tension filled moment, and then start to laugh. The noise causes the bird to fly off, while my elephant disappears into thick bush.
Back home in the States my father sends me a gift. It’s a two by three foot size poster of a lilac-breasted roller. He may just make a birder out of me yet.
For more stories, visit my blog at AfricaInside.org
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10666 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2481 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [1512 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [840 Views]
- » POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? [498 Views]
- POLL: Should the Monk Parakeet be eradicated in the UK? » [482 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [446 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [445 Views]
- Viral Shark Video Gives Rare Look at a Feeding Frenzy » [401 Views]
- Zambia ends trophy hunting ban, elephants fair game » [380 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [11113 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7942 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7344 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [5721 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5647 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4925 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4741 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [3781 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [3648 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3141 Views]