First off, I am sorry for my long absence, business has gone through the roof lately, and there is little time to catch up with all of these projects.
Early am November 6th, 2012 my group head south in a rental car to the Conowingo Dam, MD. We travel all night, and arrive at the dam around 10 am. Great conversations, coffee, sandwiches, and a wee bit of fuel! (actually not too bad, one fill up got us all the way from Toronto to the area of Conowingo Dam.
The birds were primarily located on the opposite side of the river, hanging out in the large boulders about 200 yards away. So, basically a waiting game. When they flew, and caught fish, we would catch a fly-by!
I would say about 80 eagles were present at the dam, but this number is constantly changing. The Conowingo is a feeding location for migrating Bald Eagles who are making their way south. They stop over for all the fish that get stirred up in the water turbulence from the dam. Once a fish is flushed the turbines, it is disoriented, and floats to the top belly up.
Easy pickings! We would see at least 5-10 fish caught each hour, but the catch was too far in most cases to get a good shot. Most of the time the bird would be flying the opposite direction so we found this a bit frustrating!
So, in the end, a bout 700 shots taken and a few edited below. Special thanks to my guests Harry and Jeffery, this was a fun trip.
Thanks for looking!
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Karma Strikes Again: Trophy Hunter Killed by Elephant [1113 Views]
- Rare footage helps explain what Narwhals use their tusks for [1045 Views]
- POLL: Should the Grizzly Bear be removed from the Endangered Species List? [1005 Views]
- POLL: Should all circuses with wild animals be closed down? [955 Views]
- ‘Kill them, kill them, kill them’: the volunteer army plotting to wipe out Britain’s grey squirrels [808 Views]
- 10 of the Most Endangered Species on Earth [798 Views]
- $10,000 reward offered to find killer of famous Yellowstone white wolf [694 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [669 Views]
- POLL: Should Trump be allowed to destroy the Endangered Species Act [644 Views]
- Elephants Can’t Wait to Meet New Rescued Baby at Sanctuary [614 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42098 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16884 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [12092 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11134 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8670 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8256 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8075 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7443 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy and big game hunting be banned? [5416 Views]
- POLL: Should the killing of giraffes be outlawed? [4675 Views]