First off, I am sorry for my long absence, business has gone through the roof lately, and there is little time to catch up with all of these projects.
Early am November 6th, 2012 my group head south in a rental car to the Conowingo Dam, MD. We travel all night, and arrive at the dam around 10 am. Great conversations, coffee, sandwiches, and a wee bit of fuel! (actually not too bad, one fill up got us all the way from Toronto to the area of Conowingo Dam.
The birds were primarily located on the opposite side of the river, hanging out in the large boulders about 200 yards away. So, basically a waiting game. When they flew, and caught fish, we would catch a fly-by!
I would say about 80 eagles were present at the dam, but this number is constantly changing. The Conowingo is a feeding location for migrating Bald Eagles who are making their way south. They stop over for all the fish that get stirred up in the water turbulence from the dam. Once a fish is flushed the turbines, it is disoriented, and floats to the top belly up.
Easy pickings! We would see at least 5-10 fish caught each hour, but the catch was too far in most cases to get a good shot. Most of the time the bird would be flying the opposite direction so we found this a bit frustrating!
So, in the end, a bout 700 shots taken and a few edited below. Special thanks to my guests Harry and Jeffery, this was a fun trip.
Thanks for looking!
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2470 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? [1798 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [1779 Views]
- POLL: Should the USDA stop using cyanide bombs to control predators? [1540 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [1487 Views]
- POLL: Should Norway stop the annual slaughter of whales? [1277 Views]
- Badger buries entire cow in shocking new video [1053 Views]
- Is ‘Baiting’ an ethical way to photograph wild owls? [948 Views]
- POLL: Should the sale of rhino horns be legalized? [841 Views]
- POLL: Should Australia’s feral horses be controlled by aerial culling? [727 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42073 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16838 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [14125 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [12669 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11132 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8641 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8315 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8061 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7428 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? [5378 Views]