First off, I am sorry for my long absence, business has gone through the roof lately, and there is little time to catch up with all of these projects.
Early am November 6th, 2012 my group head south in a rental car to the Conowingo Dam, MD. We travel all night, and arrive at the dam around 10 am. Great conversations, coffee, sandwiches, and a wee bit of fuel! (actually not too bad, one fill up got us all the way from Toronto to the area of Conowingo Dam.
The birds were primarily located on the opposite side of the river, hanging out in the large boulders about 200 yards away. So, basically a waiting game. When they flew, and caught fish, we would catch a fly-by!
I would say about 80 eagles were present at the dam, but this number is constantly changing. The Conowingo is a feeding location for migrating Bald Eagles who are making their way south. They stop over for all the fish that get stirred up in the water turbulence from the dam. Once a fish is flushed the turbines, it is disoriented, and floats to the top belly up.
Easy pickings! We would see at least 5-10 fish caught each hour, but the catch was too far in most cases to get a good shot. Most of the time the bird would be flying the opposite direction so we found this a bit frustrating!
So, in the end, a bout 700 shots taken and a few edited below. Special thanks to my guests Harry and Jeffery, this was a fun trip.
Thanks for looking!
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the tradition of throwing wild turkeys from a plane be allowed? – [1931 Views]
- POLL: Should the Rare Spirit Bear Be Protected From Hunters? – [1652 Views]
- POLL: Should Arizona’s wild cats be protected from trophy hunters? – [1315 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of bears as living tourist attractions be banned? – [1205 Views]
- POLL: Should Dolphinariums As Tourist Attractions Be Closed Down? – [1071 Views]
- POLL: Should animal traps in our National Wildlife Refuges be banned? – [1065 Views]
- POLL: Should Orcas and Dolphins be freed from all Seaquariums? – [1033 Views]
- POLL: Should the Alaska Refuge be opened up for drilling? – [992 Views]
- POLL: Should the testing of cosmetics on animals be banned? – [897 Views]
- POLL: Should Trump’s elephant trophy hunting plan be stopped? – [827 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7645 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [6594 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3788 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [3605 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3055 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]