First off, I am sorry for my long absence, business has gone through the roof lately, and there is little time to catch up with all of these projects.
Early am November 6th, 2012 my group head south in a rental car to the Conowingo Dam, MD. We travel all night, and arrive at the dam around 10 am. Great conversations, coffee, sandwiches, and a wee bit of fuel! (actually not too bad, one fill up got us all the way from Toronto to the area of Conowingo Dam.
The birds were primarily located on the opposite side of the river, hanging out in the large boulders about 200 yards away. So, basically a waiting game. When they flew, and caught fish, we would catch a fly-by!
I would say about 80 eagles were present at the dam, but this number is constantly changing. The Conowingo is a feeding location for migrating Bald Eagles who are making their way south. They stop over for all the fish that get stirred up in the water turbulence from the dam. Once a fish is flushed the turbines, it is disoriented, and floats to the top belly up.
Easy pickings! We would see at least 5-10 fish caught each hour, but the catch was too far in most cases to get a good shot. Most of the time the bird would be flying the opposite direction so we found this a bit frustrating!
So, in the end, a bout 700 shots taken and a few edited below. Special thanks to my guests Harry and Jeffery, this was a fun trip.
Thanks for looking!
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Finland’s 235 wolves be culled? [1641 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [1621 Views]
- POLL: Should the Wildlife Trust’s campaign to slaughter grey squirrels be stopped? [1609 Views]
- POLL: Should Trump disband USDA Wildlife “Killing” Services? [1219 Views]
- POLL: Should more bear hunting licenses be issued? [1152 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [967 Views]
- POLL: Should Australia’s feral cats be culled? [824 Views]
- POLL: Could U.S. endangered species rules go extinct under Trump? [727 Views]
- Why do birds sing? [634 Views]
- An elk’s-eye view of migrating through Yellowstone [569 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42056 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16800 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13853 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11117 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8614 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8309 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [8116 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8048 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7417 Views]
- Wildlife Photo Adventure in Costa Rica! [6115 Views]