With the better weather forecast for Norfolk that was our destination for the day one count.
Starting with Barn Owl and ending wit a lovely Grey Male Hen Harrier we had a cracking day.
Shore Lark at Holkham, Twite at Thornham, Snow Buntings at Salthouse and Cattle Egret at Stiffkey were the four main targets and all were achieved without drama. Sandwiched between all this was a trip to Brancaster Staithe where Water Rail proved the best bird.
A sizeable crowd gathered at Titchwell for a Sea Watch and here we managed close views of Long-tailed Duck, Mergansers, Razorbill and Great Northern Diver along with fly through Red-throated Diver, Guillemot and Little Gull .The large selection of waders here added to the days list and I picked out a couple of Water Pipit and a single Rock Pipit before we headed to Cley.
As we passed Holkham a male Merlin was spotted sitting close to the road and at Cley we located the Snow Buntings without difficulty from the end of Beach Road. On the way back to Stiffkey we located the two Cattle Egrets on the flooded fields and then the finale came as we watched the salt marsh and found the Male Hen Harrier going to roost.
So my best ever total for day one with 104 species seen giving 2018 a chance from the get go.
Essex Birder using the blog as a diary of my trips around the country chasing birds. Enjoying the places it takes me and the people I meet along the way. Great to spend time with my Dad and brother as we chase our year lists and grow our life list in the process.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the UK finally abandon its controversial badger cull? – [2170 Views]
- POLL: Should fox hunting legislation be repealed in the UK? – [2168 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of Grizzly Bears be banned nationwide? – [2013 Views]
- Arctic Fox and Snowy Owl Filmed Doing Strange ‘Dance’ – But Why? – [1838 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [1424 Views]
- How Sea Shepherd lost battle against Japan’s whale hunters in Antarctic – [1267 Views]
- POLL: Should We Revive Extinct Species? – [1117 Views]
- POLL: Should the Cheetah be classified as “Endangered”? – [1113 Views]
- POLL: Should Lolita the Lonely Orca be Freed? – [1054 Views]
- It’s a Miracle! Wisdom Lays an Egg at Age 67 – [1038 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7733 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [4787 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [4251 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [4057 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [3285 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3077 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]