Africa Birding … Get the shot!
It’s not easy. Some of my best images are a result of one main asset. Tenacity.
A subject is always ready to give you something special, are you ready to accept it? A yawn, a lift off, a flight, bird on bird interaction, mating, fights!!! Everything is out there, happening all the time, BUT! Are you ready?
Believe it or not, I have stared through my viewfinder for as many as 35 -40 minutes, to get that shot. I am not kidding. And I mean non-stop. To waste that split second that it takes to get your camera up, ready, on your subject, focused, and with the right settings is the number one reason that I miss great shots.
Imagine that image of the spurfowl below. Sweet light right behind us, early in the morning, tack sharp, tons of time. This bird was warming up after a long cool night in the am sunshine. Sooner or later it is going to jump and fly off that perch. So, it’s decision time, how long can you do it! Stare through that viewfinder until it makes its move? How Long? We, when your in Tanzania, not too long. There is too much out there, and my guests would not have the patience for me to get that dream shot.
So, we drive on, and I can only wish. In the end, the shot I am referring to is the bee-eater. We park for lunch, and naturally, mine has been eaten. While my guests relax at a picnic table, and browse their images, I am wandering around, looking for that shot. In short, a bee-eater eating a bee is a shot I have never seen in the past… how did I get it… tenacity. 25 minutes, crouched near this birds favorite perch, being harassed by every bug in the park, and ignoring them… for that shot!
Many photographers think you need the best camera, flash, tripod, head, lens, on and on, but what you really need is the desire and tenacity to secure the opportunity.
The beauty of nature, and natural light is there for everyone. I hope you have enjoyed this short series from Africa, some new articles coming soon from another superb photography location.. Costa Rica!
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should circus animal exploitation be banned in England? – [1210 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts – [1075 Views]
- POLL: Should Europe’s Wolves be Rewilded? – [1037 Views]
- Anti-bird tree spikes: we love cars so much, we destroy nature for them – [1003 Views]
- Coast Guard Rescues Sea Turtle Entangled Amid Bales of Cocaine – [999 Views]
- How Do Squirrels Deal With Cold? They May Not Feel It Like Us – [974 Views]
- Nepal’s Last Dancing Bears Have Been Rescued – [957 Views]
- Poachers Shoot Down Sea Shepherd Drone in the Gulf of Mexico – [925 Views]
- Beak fitness: New Zealand develops roadside gym for endangered keas – [899 Views]
- Florida Is ‘Raining Iguanas.’ Will The Invasive Reptiles Adapt? – [778 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7792 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [4507 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [4091 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [3946 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [3395 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3100 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]