For someone who feasibly lives merely a day’s hard drive from the glorious expanse that is Namibia, I visit very seldom. I suppose that’s the way it is – life gets in the way, other destinations beckon…but that will change soon.
We will be embarking on a 24-day camping adventure, with families in tow, across a vast portion of Namibia. That’s something we South Africans love to do – overland camping, lugging everything along from a freezer to a portable shower to a mini-kitchen, “spending a fortune to live like a hobo”, as the meme goes.
We were originally only going to go to Etosha for 2 weeks, but then we got thinking – we will be there already, why not add another week?
So here is a quick rundown of our trip:
- Etosha National Park
- Namib Rand Reserve
- Quiver Tree Forest
- Fish River Canyon
As you can see, it’s a veritable bucket list of destinations.
We hiked the Fish River Canyon in 2009, and visited Etosha last in 2013, but I haven’t been to the Namib desert regions since 1995! To say we are excited is an understatement…
Camping with those you love under the immense stars in the wide spaces of Namibia for 3 weeks, cut off from social media and the political turmoil and all the drama in the world…eating good food, drinking good wine, taking some photos, reflecting on how God has blessed us…what more could you want?
See you all on the flipside…
Since picking up a DSLR camera for the first time, a little over 3 years ago, Morkel has been invigorated with an unbridled passion for the photographic art form. He has grown at a tremendous pace and put immense energy into the creation of his images. He absolutely loves spending time in the wild places of his native Southern Africa. From a young age he has been visiting legendary wildlife and outdoor locations, including the Kruger Park National Park and the Drakensberg Mountains, with his family. Now that he has found a way to share the natural beauty of his homeland with the rest of the world he is regularly out on photography trips. An Industrial Engineer by profession, and an accomplished artist in genres like music and poetry, Morkel has always enjoyed whatever allows him to express his creativity to the fullest. Photography turned out to be the perfect "marriage" between his engineering brain and artistic soul. "I hope that in some way I can raise awareness through my imagery of the plight of not only our wildlife but also the fragility of the last remaining wilderness areas that they call home.” Morkel was recently honoured for his commitment to his craft by receiving a "Highly Commended" for one of his images in the 2010 BBC Veolia Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition. He is based in Mpumalanga, South Africa and even though he prefers going on safari with his family and friends, Morkel also leads the odd photographic safari and has recently begun presenting workshops in post-processing techniques.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [2426 Views]
- POLL: Should the UK finally abandon its controversial badger cull? – [2167 Views]
- POLL: Should fox hunting legislation be repealed in the UK? – [2165 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of Grizzly Bears be banned nationwide? – [2013 Views]
- Arctic Fox and Snowy Owl Filmed Doing Strange ‘Dance’ – But Why? – [1807 Views]
- How Sea Shepherd lost battle against Japan’s whale hunters in Antarctic – [1261 Views]
- POLL: Should We Revive Extinct Species? – [1117 Views]
- POLL: Should the Cheetah be classified as “Endangered”? – [1113 Views]
- It’s a Miracle! Wisdom Lays an Egg at Age 67 – [1038 Views]
- POLL: Should drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge be banned? – [980 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7727 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [4826 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [4201 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [4055 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [3285 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3077 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]