At the end of last month I visited the Pilling and Cockerham area of Lancashire. This area is visited in the winter months by large flocks of pink footed geese and whooper swans. There are rich pickings to be had in the fields with left over remains of potato and other vegetable crops. This winter in particular has been very wet and many farmers have been unable to harvest their crops.
On my wanderings around the lanes and back roads I came across a very large number of geese and swans gathering in a roadside field prior to roosting out on Pilling Sands. The birds were coming in large groups particularly the geese and were settling in the field giving me some wonderful opportunities with the camera.
It was a bright cold and sunny afternoon and was ideal for photography and I was able to stay in the comfort of the car using it as a mobile hide. I was amazed at the numbers of birds and can only say that there were many thousands of pink footed geese and many hundreds of whooper swans. For this post I have concentrated on the whooper swans.
The pink footed geese will be the subject of my next post. I took about two and a half thousand images over two days and have spent a week or so sifting and sorting. I hope you enjoy my selection of these magnificent visitors from Iceland. It was a most memorable experience and one I will be unlikely to repeat for some time. Thanks for looking in and stay tuned for the next instalment.
I am based in Preston. Lancashire. This central location enables me to travel easily to a wide variety of habitats in the North of England. I tend these days not to travel very far as I find that there is plenty to see not very far from home. On my own doorstep are a wonderful variety of habitats - natural woodlands, open fells and hill country, unspoilt river valleys and I have easy access to the delights of the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales National Parks. As you will see from my bird images much time is spent at the wonderful coastal sites forming part of Morecambe Bay and the Ribble Estuary e.g. Marshside and Leighton Moss. In recent years Digital Photography has taken over from Video and as time has moved on I have acquired more and more equipment - as you do!! I use Nikon Camera Equipment and currently use a Nikon D200 for general work and a D300 specifically for bird photography. The D300m is usually coupled to a 500mm F4 lens which has dramatically changed the quality of images that I am now able to obtain. I am enjoying being able to post images on Flickr and share the rewards of our wonderful interests with the rest of the world!!!
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the UK finally abandon its controversial badger cull? – [2176 Views]
- POLL: Should fox hunting legislation be repealed in the UK? – [2168 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of Grizzly Bears be banned nationwide? – [2013 Views]
- Arctic Fox and Snowy Owl Filmed Doing Strange ‘Dance’ – But Why? – [1882 Views]
- How Sea Shepherd lost battle against Japan’s whale hunters in Antarctic – [1267 Views]
- POLL: Should We Revive Extinct Species? – [1117 Views]
- POLL: Should Lolita the Lonely Orca be Freed? – [1093 Views]
- It’s a Miracle! Wisdom Lays an Egg at Age 67 – [1038 Views]
- POLL: Should drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge be banned? – [1002 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [997 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7733 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [4755 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [4278 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [4061 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3077 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]