Lucia and I travelled through the flooded rice fields of La Janda early yesterday morning. She asked me if we could have a couple of hours photography. Although I encourage her and her sister about wildlife, I don’t drag the kids around rubbish tips or sewage farms or to gull roosts but rather respond to their enthusiasm about wildlife photography and off we go.
We took the Vejer end entrance into la Janda along the main collector canal track, then turned left over the bridge along the wooded avenue that leads over the bridge towards Benalup. This huge site of the vast ancient laguna of La Janda is now a massive agricultural area and is left deliberately drained in winter to make it easier for rice planting in May. Only then do the fields turn green again so it limits drastically the number of breeding wetland species. Taking in all the sights and smells from the Cattle Egret nesting colony, we travelled the avenue and found that there were at least two nesting pairs of Squacco Herons in amongst hundreds of egrets and the ten or so pairs of Glossy Ibis that chose to nest there this year.
It’s such a remarkable sight to see breeding Squacco’s in this area as we were already delighted with the Glossy Ibis nesting there for the first time. The unusually dry winter and spring has left the wetlands of the Coto Doñana and other traditional nesting areas parched. If only one small part of La Janda could be managed properly and returned properly, it would be one of the best migration stopping off places and breeding areas for many species of birds and other creatures. Squacco Herons are always special birds to watch and to have them breeding on your own doorstep is something quite special.
Glossy as ever – the ever expanding bird that numbered but ony a few pairs in Spain and Portugal when we first decided to live here eleven years ago. From ten pairs over in the Coto Doñana in 2001 they have virtually exploded in population terms to around fifteen thousand today.
Poised to strike – the stunning male Sardinian Warbler out hunting. Other birds included Bee-eater, Black-winged Kite, Common Buzzard, Black Kite, Short-toed Eagle, Booted Eagle, Common and Lesser Kestrel, Griffon Vulture, Black-winged Stilt, Gull-billed Tern, Mallard, Green Sandpiper, Woodchat Shrike, Nightingale, Purple Swamphen, Great Egret, Little Egret, Night Heron, Purple Heron, Grey Heron, Purple Swamphen, Moorhen, Red-legged Partridge, Common Pheasant, Cetti’s Warbler, Great Reed and Reed Warbler, Melodious Warbler, Western Olivaceous Warbler, Subalpine Warbler, Crested Lark, Common Stonechat, Zitting Cisticola and Corn Bunting.
There are plenty of rabbits along the road to Benalup and now that the old tarred road at the Benalup end has been repaired, traffic can move quicker. The downside is that not only rabbits get killed but Red-necked Nightjars, Little and Tawny Owls as well as Moorhens are also victims. On the other hand Black Kites, Egyptian Vultures, Weasels and Rats capitalise on this quite well.
Visit my website to learn more about my activities as a guide in the Andalucia region of Spain.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [5877 Views]
- POLL: Should the ban on South Africa’s horn trade be lifted? » [3461 Views]
- POLL: Should whaling by Iceland and Norway be banned? » [2841 Views]
- POLL: Should New Zealand fur seals be culled in South Australia? » [1345 Views]
- The most beautiful crocodile photos we’ve ever seen » [1137 Views]
- POLL: Should the export of baby elephants to China be stopped? » [1136 Views]
- Crow Tries to Fight Eagle, Gets Free Ride Instead » [934 Views]
- Saving the dhole: The forgotten ‘badass’ Asian dog more endangered than tigers » [876 Views]
- Six fishy reasons why humans should steer well clear of the sea » [827 Views]
- POLL: Should whale hunting in Alaska be banned? » [754 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [11153 Views]
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10726 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7573 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [7183 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4536 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [4322 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4028 Views]
- POLL: Should the ban on South Africa’s horn trade be lifted? » [3462 Views]
- Poll: Should hunting of black bears in Florida be allowed? » [3261 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [3092 Views]