Lucia and I travelled through the flooded rice fields of La Janda early yesterday morning. She asked me if we could have a couple of hours photography. Although I encourage her and her sister about wildlife, I don’t drag the kids around rubbish tips or sewage farms or to gull roosts but rather respond to their enthusiasm about wildlife photography and off we go.
We took the Vejer end entrance into la Janda along the main collector canal track, then turned left over the bridge along the wooded avenue that leads over the bridge towards Benalup. This huge site of the vast ancient laguna of La Janda is now a massive agricultural area and is left deliberately drained in winter to make it easier for rice planting in May. Only then do the fields turn green again so it limits drastically the number of breeding wetland species. Taking in all the sights and smells from the Cattle Egret nesting colony, we travelled the avenue and found that there were at least two nesting pairs of Squacco Herons in amongst hundreds of egrets and the ten or so pairs of Glossy Ibis that chose to nest there this year.
It’s such a remarkable sight to see breeding Squacco’s in this area as we were already delighted with the Glossy Ibis nesting there for the first time. The unusually dry winter and spring has left the wetlands of the Coto Doñana and other traditional nesting areas parched. If only one small part of La Janda could be managed properly and returned properly, it would be one of the best migration stopping off places and breeding areas for many species of birds and other creatures. Squacco Herons are always special birds to watch and to have them breeding on your own doorstep is something quite special.
Glossy as ever – the ever expanding bird that numbered but ony a few pairs in Spain and Portugal when we first decided to live here eleven years ago. From ten pairs over in the Coto Doñana in 2001 they have virtually exploded in population terms to around fifteen thousand today.
Poised to strike – the stunning male Sardinian Warbler out hunting. Other birds included Bee-eater, Black-winged Kite, Common Buzzard, Black Kite, Short-toed Eagle, Booted Eagle, Common and Lesser Kestrel, Griffon Vulture, Black-winged Stilt, Gull-billed Tern, Mallard, Green Sandpiper, Woodchat Shrike, Nightingale, Purple Swamphen, Great Egret, Little Egret, Night Heron, Purple Heron, Grey Heron, Purple Swamphen, Moorhen, Red-legged Partridge, Common Pheasant, Cetti’s Warbler, Great Reed and Reed Warbler, Melodious Warbler, Western Olivaceous Warbler, Subalpine Warbler, Crested Lark, Common Stonechat, Zitting Cisticola and Corn Bunting.
There are plenty of rabbits along the road to Benalup and now that the old tarred road at the Benalup end has been repaired, traffic can move quicker. The downside is that not only rabbits get killed but Red-necked Nightjars, Little and Tawny Owls as well as Moorhens are also victims. On the other hand Black Kites, Egyptian Vultures, Weasels and Rats capitalise on this quite well.
Visit my website to learn more about my activities as a guide in the Andalucia region of Spain.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [771 Views]
- Shot Egyptian vulture leads conservationists to bizarre black-market for bird parts » [601 Views]
- Cuckoos’ shameless egg-laying tactics revealed » [458 Views]
- Japan kills 30 minke whales in first hunt since UN court order » [441 Views]
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [428 Views]
- Albatross Internet Darling Takes First Flight » [366 Views]
- Elachuridae: Ornithologists Describe New Family of Passerine Birds » [349 Views]
- Threatened Species ‘Red List’ Warns 90 Percent of Lemur Species Face Extinction » [315 Views]
- Video: Polar Bear Cam Provides Unique View into Arctic Life » [314 Views]
- Video: Horseshoe Crabs Mate in Annual Beach “Orgy” » [311 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [33741 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [27993 Views]
- Massive Bird Slaughter Around the Mediterranean – Shocking Photos » [12168 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [12096 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [9855 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7860 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [6998 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [5524 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5269 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [5096 Views]