One of my favorite places to photograph Pine Warblers is the Econ River Wilderness Area. About a year and a half ago, I took my favorite photos of the species here. They are the kind of photos I’d like to have for most species–I call them bird-on-a-stick photos. These are the kinds of photos you see in field guides, etc.
You see most of the bird, often in profile, and the background is completely blurred with no detail whatsoever. I love these images, partly for their beauty, and partly for how difficult they are to achieve, especially with birds that like to perch in messy branches.
With today’s software, you can often remove these branches, but I don’t do much of this. I’d rather spend my time taking pictures than messing with them. Here’s one of my favorite images from my visit to this park in 2012.
Over the last couple weeks, Pine Warblers have begun singing all over the park, making them pretty easy to locate. But today, the Pine Warblers didn’t give me these kinds of images, and that’s okay. After all, they’re called Pine Warblers for a reason. So I had fun looking for ways to make the background illustrate their habitat without being distracting.
Often this means just moving a step or too to one side or other to get a background that I think will work out well. In some of these images, the background is more blurred than others, but I think you can at least make out what’s back there. To me, these images may not be as visually striking as the ones I took in 2012, but they’re more interpretive of the bird’s environment. So I like them both. Please don’t make me choose.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Poll: Should animals be trophy hunted to support conservation? » [716 Views]
- Poll: Should wolves be slaughtered to save caribou? » [445 Views]
- Video: Camera traps capture rare footage of wild bonobos » [433 Views]
- Video: Can We Stop Millions of Birds From Crashing Into Windows? » [426 Views]
- Video: Christmas Island’s Incredible Red Crab Migration » [384 Views]
- Video: Panda Playing in Snow Goes Viral » [376 Views]
- Awe-inspiring images of birds by Ofer Levy » [375 Views]
- Video: Gamekeeper jailed in Scotland for killing bird of prey » [360 Views]
- How Killer Fungus Burns Up Bats From the Inside » [341 Views]
- Rare Shark That Inspired Sea Monster Myths Is Caught » [340 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10695 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7994 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4713 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4472 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4023 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3406 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3086 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2937 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2913 Views]
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [2810 Views]