One of my favorite places to photograph Pine Warblers is the Econ River Wilderness Area. About a year and a half ago, I took my favorite photos of the species here. They are the kind of photos I’d like to have for most species–I call them bird-on-a-stick photos. These are the kinds of photos you see in field guides, etc.
You see most of the bird, often in profile, and the background is completely blurred with no detail whatsoever. I love these images, partly for their beauty, and partly for how difficult they are to achieve, especially with birds that like to perch in messy branches.
With today’s software, you can often remove these branches, but I don’t do much of this. I’d rather spend my time taking pictures than messing with them. Here’s one of my favorite images from my visit to this park in 2012.
Over the last couple weeks, Pine Warblers have begun singing all over the park, making them pretty easy to locate. But today, the Pine Warblers didn’t give me these kinds of images, and that’s okay. After all, they’re called Pine Warblers for a reason. So I had fun looking for ways to make the background illustrate their habitat without being distracting.
Often this means just moving a step or too to one side or other to get a background that I think will work out well. In some of these images, the background is more blurred than others, but I think you can at least make out what’s back there. To me, these images may not be as visually striking as the ones I took in 2012, but they’re more interpretive of the bird’s environment. So I like them both. Please don’t make me choose.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? » [4493 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a ban on importing lion trophies? » [2132 Views]
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [1905 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [1873 Views]
- POLL: Can lion trophy hunting support conservation? » [1819 Views]
- Video: Behold the iridescent glory of hummingbird feathers! » [1761 Views]
- POLL: When bears kill humans should they be slaughtered? » [1439 Views]
- Night parrot capture and tagging hailed as ‘holy grail’ moment for bird lovers » [1407 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [1404 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dallas Safari Club Auction be stopped? » [1377 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? » [13820 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [11210 Views]
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10747 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7940 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [7623 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [4984 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4682 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4160 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [3505 Views]
- POLL: Should the ban on South Africa’s horn trade be lifted? » [3500 Views]