One of my favorite places to photograph Pine Warblers is the Econ River Wilderness Area. About a year and a half ago, I took my favorite photos of the species here. They are the kind of photos I’d like to have for most species–I call them bird-on-a-stick photos. These are the kinds of photos you see in field guides, etc.
You see most of the bird, often in profile, and the background is completely blurred with no detail whatsoever. I love these images, partly for their beauty, and partly for how difficult they are to achieve, especially with birds that like to perch in messy branches.
With today’s software, you can often remove these branches, but I don’t do much of this. I’d rather spend my time taking pictures than messing with them. Here’s one of my favorite images from my visit to this park in 2012.
Over the last couple weeks, Pine Warblers have begun singing all over the park, making them pretty easy to locate. But today, the Pine Warblers didn’t give me these kinds of images, and that’s okay. After all, they’re called Pine Warblers for a reason. So I had fun looking for ways to make the background illustrate their habitat without being distracting.
Often this means just moving a step or too to one side or other to get a background that I think will work out well. In some of these images, the background is more blurred than others, but I think you can at least make out what’s back there. To me, these images may not be as visually striking as the ones I took in 2012, but they’re more interpretive of the bird’s environment. So I like them both. Please don’t make me choose.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [4818 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [2148 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [721 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [685 Views]
- Iceland’s Seabird Colonies Are Vanishing, With “Massive” Chick Deaths » [571 Views]
- Barn owls ‘threatened’ by new legislation » [438 Views]
- The 1,300 Bird Species Facing Extinction Signal Threats to Human Health » [433 Views]
- Russia Stops Japanese Whaling Ship Dead In Its Tracks » [403 Views]
- Scientists uncover five new species of ‘toupee’ monkeys in the Amazon » [383 Views]
- POLL: Should the Monk Parakeet be eradicated in the UK? » [381 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [12366 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [7987 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7938 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7172 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5645 Views]
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [5269 Views]
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [5265 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4859 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4734 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [4271 Views]