One of my favorite places to photograph Pine Warblers is the Econ River Wilderness Area. About a year and a half ago, I took my favorite photos of the species here. They are the kind of photos I’d like to have for most species–I call them bird-on-a-stick photos. These are the kinds of photos you see in field guides, etc.
You see most of the bird, often in profile, and the background is completely blurred with no detail whatsoever. I love these images, partly for their beauty, and partly for how difficult they are to achieve, especially with birds that like to perch in messy branches.
With today’s software, you can often remove these branches, but I don’t do much of this. I’d rather spend my time taking pictures than messing with them. Here’s one of my favorite images from my visit to this park in 2012.
Over the last couple weeks, Pine Warblers have begun singing all over the park, making them pretty easy to locate. But today, the Pine Warblers didn’t give me these kinds of images, and that’s okay. After all, they’re called Pine Warblers for a reason. So I had fun looking for ways to make the background illustrate their habitat without being distracting.
Often this means just moving a step or too to one side or other to get a background that I think will work out well. In some of these images, the background is more blurred than others, but I think you can at least make out what’s back there. To me, these images may not be as visually striking as the ones I took in 2012, but they’re more interpretive of the bird’s environment. So I like them both. Please don’t make me choose.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the slaughter of birds in southern Europe be stopped? » [2479 Views]
- Dive-bombing kingfisher’s underwater hunt caught on camera » [2404 Views]
- POLL: Should hare coursing be banned in Ireland? » [1738 Views]
- [1165 Views]
- Video: Meet the Dog Trained to Take Down Poachers » [1052 Views]
- POLL: Should the EU ban the import of lion hunt trophies? » [1015 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming in Finland be banned? » [896 Views]
- Half of world’s rare antelope population died within weeks » [813 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farms be banned in Ireland? » [711 Views]
- POLL: Is Florida’s Bear Hunt Necessary? » [694 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? » [14291 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [11314 Views]
- POLL: Should hare coursing be banned in Ireland? » [9856 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [8468 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [8146 Views]
- POLL: Should Africa’s poachers be shot on sight? » [6722 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [6089 Views]
- POLL: Should whales and dolphins be kept in captivity for our entertainment? » [5278 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4588 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4155 Views]