On Friday, the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society said a pod of more than 250 dolphins including babies, juveniles and a rare albino calf had been driven into a cove in Taiji, south-east Japan. Taiji is renowned for its dolphin-hunting traditions, shooting to prominence after the release of the 2009 Oscar-winning documentary The Cove. The town is in the middle of its traditional dolphin-hunting season, which runs between September and April.
The US ambassador to Japan, Caroline Kennedy, has expressed deep concern about the Japanese tradition of “drive-hunting” dolphins just days after scores of creatures were rounded up for slaughter in a town infamous for culling the mammals.
“Deeply concerned by inhumaneness of drive hunt dolphin killing,” Kennedy tweeted, adding that the US government “opposes drive hunt fisheries.”
Sea Shepherd activists said the cull continued over the weekend, as dolphin families were separated so they could be individually assessed as worth for captivity or slaughter. Fifteen dolphins were taken on Sunday from the cove via sling and transferred to the Taiji harbour sea pens and several captive facilities in Taiji, the group said on its Facebook page.
“We expect that most of the pod will be slaughtered and some too small to claim for quota will be driven back out to sea to fend for themselves,” they said.
We invite you to vote FOR or AGAINST the stopping of the dolphin slaughter in Taiji Cove. Please vote and also leave your comments at the bottom of this page.
Now that you’ve voted, please sign the petition
Don’t delay! Do it today.
The editorial content of this article was written and published by the Guardian.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2435 Views]
- Trophy Hunter Gets Eaten by Crocodiles [1894 Views]
- Scientists Discover Rare and Endangered Cat in Borneo [973 Views]
- POLL: Should the inter-breeding of lions and tigers be banned? [875 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [851 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for exceeding its bluefin tuna quota? [838 Views]
- POLL: Should the illegal wildlife trade in slow lorises be stopped? [838 Views]
- POLL: Should the giraffe be listed as an endangered species? [727 Views]
- 10 of the Most Endangered Species on Earth [712 Views]
- Rare footage helps explain what Narwhals use their tusks for [703 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42085 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16868 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [12291 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [12119 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11135 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8655 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8291 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8074 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7437 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy and big game hunting be banned? [5382 Views]