For over last 15+ years every winter some of my friends, or me, would say; this spring we are really going to Israël! And for some reason we never did. We went all over the world, but we never ever went to Israël. And each year we said it again. It became a practical joke amongst us and our friends. Nobody took it serieus anymore.
Different destinations, security problems in Israël, intifada, rocket attacks on Israël, buying houses, just forgetting to go, reports of dwingling numbers of migrating birds. All reasons not to go.
And this year we finally miraculasly did… My friend Arjan van Egmond called if we would be going to Israël this year. I said yes. Arjan booked and within a few weeks we were standing in Eilat! How easy was that!
In the ’80’s and ’90’s Eilat was the place to go for (European) birdwatchers. Many many millions of birds pass through the Eilat area and the combination of all kinds of tired migrants feeding in small parks, huge visible (raptor) migration and special desert species made it a birder’s pelgrimage. But the numbers of birds dwelled, security problems rised and birds and birders stayed away.
The last few years the number of birders slightly increased, but reports of huge numbers of grounded migrants were few.
And then it was 2012. How different it was this year. Eilat had a rise to its former glory! Migrants were pooring all over the place. Small parks were full of tired migrants. Everywhere there were quails, pipits, wagtails, chats and warblers. Raptor migration was stunning with every day many 1000’s of Steppe Buzzards flying low over the mountains. It was said that it was the best spring in many years, maybe even the best spring ever according to the locals.
So now we know why we waited for 15+ years – we just had to be there at the best spring in decades!
A few images taken from this trip – still editing! More images of Israël can be found here.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [7952 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [2157 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [723 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [688 Views]
- Iceland’s Seabird Colonies Are Vanishing, With “Massive” Chick Deaths » [571 Views]
- Barn owls ‘threatened’ by new legislation » [438 Views]
- The 1,300 Bird Species Facing Extinction Signal Threats to Human Health » [433 Views]
- » POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? [425 Views]
- POLL: Should the Monk Parakeet be eradicated in the UK? » [406 Views]
- Russia Stops Japanese Whaling Ship Dead In Its Tracks » [404 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [12372 Views]
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [8399 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [7992 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7938 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7269 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5645 Views]
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [5253 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4733 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4692 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [4259 Views]