For over last 15+ years every winter some of my friends, or me, would say; this spring we are really going to Israël! And for some reason we never did. We went all over the world, but we never ever went to Israël. And each year we said it again. It became a practical joke amongst us and our friends. Nobody took it serieus anymore.
Different destinations, security problems in Israël, intifada, rocket attacks on Israël, buying houses, just forgetting to go, reports of dwingling numbers of migrating birds. All reasons not to go. And this year we finally miraculasly did… My friendArjan van Egmond called if we would be going to Israël this year. I said yes. Arjan booked and within a few weeks we were standing in Eilat! How easy was that!
In the ’80’s and ’90’s Eilat was the place to go for (European) birdwatchers. Many many millions of birds pass through the Eilat area and the combination of all kinds of tired migrants feeding in small parks, huge visible (raptor) migration and special desert species made it a birder’s pelgrimage. But the numbers of birds dwelled, security problems rised and birds and birders stayed away.
The last few years the number of birders slightly increased, but reports of huge numbers of grounded migrants were few.
And then it was 2012. How different it was this year. Eilat had a rise to its former glory! Migrants were pooring all over the place. Small parks were full of tired migrants. Everywhere there were quails, pipits, wagtails, chats and warblers. Raptor migration was stunning with every day many 1000’s of Steppe Buzzards flying low over the mountains. It was said that it was the best spring in many years, maybe even the best spring ever according to the locals.
So now we know why we waited for 15+ years – we just had to be there at the best spring in decades!
A few images taken from this trip – still editing! More images of Israël can be found here.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [2681 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [539 Views]
- Video: Watch what happens when you give a squirrel a GoPro » [505 Views]
- Video: Killer Whales Attack Pod of Narwhal » [500 Views]
- Video: Incredible footage shows leopard attacking two male antelope while they fight » [460 Views]
- Video: Rare Black Sea Devil Caught on Film for the First Time » [451 Views]
- Grey seals identified as killers behind mystery harbour porpoise deaths » [419 Views]
- Video: Watch the Incredible Migration of Thousands of Giant Spider Crabs in Australia » [386 Views]
- New Pictures of Hollywood Cougar Show Sleeker, Healthier Cat » [376 Views]
- Listen to New Bird Species Discovered in Brazil: Cryptic Treehunter » [369 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10958 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7969 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7406 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5657 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4902 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4698 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4007 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3187 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [3182 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2925 Views]