As we checked into the Lodge, we were asked if we wanted to do a “frog tour” that evening. Not having a clue what to expect, I said: “sure, why not”.
Being the only participants, this turned into an hour and a half of me photographing nine different species of frogs. Luckily, we had headlamps with us that provided the minimum amount of light I needed to focus my camera.
Despite being ill-prepared and deleting many blurred images, I managed to get images of nine species of frogs. Wow, that was very cool!
The Waterfall Gardens has an area with many hummingbird feeders and a variety of hummingbirds seem to feed there constantly. I didn’t have the benefit of a multiple high-speed flash setup for flight shots, but I did okay. Six different species at one location seemed pretty good, even if they were perched. Late in the afternoon the staff covers the hanging feeders and passes out feeders to be hand-held by any child, or adult wanting to be a kid again.
At the Gardens there is a butterfly pavilion. That was another challenge for me, not having any experience photographing butterflies. With a little trial and error, I managed to capture images of seven species that I was pleased with.
There is also an aviary on the property. Although I prefer to photograph uncontrolled subjects, that didn’t stop me from taking advantage of the many birds on display. Photographing from certain angles, the enclosures were not visible. The toucans provided the best photo opportunities and the best laugh of the trip. “Bob”, a Chestnut-mandibled Toucan, was sitting on Joan’s shoulder being hand-fed watermelon when he decided Joan’s earring also looked appetizing. Yep, there went the earring – hope it came out without a problem.
Big cats, native to Costa Rica, are also on display. Given the thick glass, heavy bars, wire mess and terrible light, getting half-way decent photographs was close to impossible. That said, I just acted like a typical tourist and did the best I could.
So what about the waterfalls? Yes, the La Paz Waterfalls Garden has natural waterfalls which are accessible on a network of hiking trails. The terrain was steep and fortunately there was a shuttle bus at the bottom to get us back up to the lodge.
For over 100 more photos from this trip go to http://dongettywildlifephotography.com/p445168888
Stay turned for parts 2 and 3 for reports on our next two stops in Costa Rica.
Don Getty has been an avid wildlife photographer for over 20 years. He resides in Wyoming, just 30 miles from Yellowstone Park. He photographs birds, mammals, reptiles and just about any living creature he can get in front of his lens. Wildlife photography has taken him throughout the Rocky Mountain region of the US and Canada, East Africa, South Africa, Costa Rica, Florida and Churchill Manitoba. He has received numerous awards and his images have appeared in many magazines, books and calendars.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Europe’s Wolves be Rewilded? – [1401 Views]
- 7 Common Food Items Not Good for Backyard Birds – [1273 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts – [1117 Views]
- Coast Guard Rescues Sea Turtle Entangled Amid Bales of Cocaine – [999 Views]
- How Do Squirrels Deal With Cold? They May Not Feel It Like Us – [990 Views]
- Nepal’s Last Dancing Bears Have Been Rescued – [960 Views]
- Poachers Shoot Down Sea Shepherd Drone in the Gulf of Mexico – [929 Views]
- Beak fitness: New Zealand develops roadside gym for endangered keas – [911 Views]
- POLL: Should the trafficking of Hippo Teeth be banned? – [841 Views]
- Florida Is ‘Raining Iguanas.’ Will The Invasive Reptiles Adapt? – [781 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7803 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [4516 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [4097 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts – [4032 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [3395 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3100 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]