At least fifteen Greater Spotted Eagles Clanga clanga were recorded at a wetland site near Jubail this winter. Birds winter at a number of sites in Saudi Arabia with the Jubail area the best for the species in the Eastern province. In winter birds are almost always near wetland areas with large areas where they can hunt undisturbed. Another good site is the large wetland area of Al Asfar Lake near Al Hassa.
They occupy a fragmented range, breeding mainly in Estonia, Poland, Belarus, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, mainland China and Mongolia. Passage or wintering birds occur in small numbers over a vast area, including central and eastern Europe, North Africa, East Africa, the Middle East, the Arabian peninsula, the Indian Subcontinent, south Asia and South-East Asia.
The Greater Spotted Eagle is suspected to have undergone at least a moderately rapid decline over the last three generations as a result of habitat loss and degradation throughout its breeding and wintering ranges, together with the effects of disturbance, persecution and competition with other predators.
The species is listed on the Red Data list as Vulnerable as the species is facing a high risk of extinction in the wild in the medium-term future.
Jem Babbington is a keen birder and amateur photographer located in Dhahran, Eastern Saudi Arabia where he goes birding every day. Jem was born in England and is a serious local patch and local area birder who has been birding for almost forty years and has birded in more than fifty countries. Jem is learning to ring birds in Bahrain as a perfect way to learn more about the birds of the area. Saudi Arabia is a very much under-watched and under-recorded country.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- 7 Common Food Items Not Good for Backyard Birds – [1549 Views]
- Birds Sleep in Giraffe Armpits, New Photos Reveal – [1455 Views]
- POLL: Should Europe’s Wolves be Rewilded? – [1452 Views]
- Karma? Lions Eat Suspected Poacher in South Africa – [1255 Views]
- POLL: Should the clothing industry be “Fur-Free”? – [1203 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts – [1000 Views]
- POLL: Should Norway be sanctioned for boosting its whaling quota? – [901 Views]
- POLL: Should the trafficking of Hippo Teeth be banned? – [881 Views]
- Fang trafficking to China is putting Bolivia’s jaguars in jeopardy – [863 Views]
- POLL: Should Bobcats be kept on the Endangered Species List? – [751 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7823 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [4595 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [4115 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [3401 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3111 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [2289 Views]