Pro-fox hunting campaigners are plotting to use a predicted Conservative landslide at the general election to repeal a 2004 ban of the blood sport, according to a report.
Tory Lord Mancroft, chairman of the Council of Hunting Associations, described the 8 June vote as “the chance we have been waiting for” to overturn the ban, according to an email seen by the Daily Mirror.
He said a sizeable majority for Theresa May could usher in a new era for fox hunting and a vote on the issue could be scheduled for as early as this year.
“A majority of 50 or more would give us a real opportunity for repeal of the Hunting Act,” he said.
“We have repeatedly made clear that we need a Government that has both a manifesto commitment to repeal the HA [Hunting Act], and a big enough majority to get repeal through the Commons and then the Lords.
“It now looks, unexpectedly, as if there is a very real chance we could get such a Government.
“While nothing in politics is certain, this is by far the best opportunity we have had since the ban, and is probably the best we are likely to get in the foreseeable future.”
Lord Mancroft claimed to have “received assurances” that a parliamentary vote would be included in the Tory manifesto.
He also appealed to the group’s supporters to “mobilise” to ensure a big win for Ms May next month.
“This is the chance we have been waiting for,” the Conservative peer said. “We have six weeks to show, yet again, what we are made of, and our undying commitment to our way of life. “We have six weeks to win back all that has been taken from us. Masters, if ever there was a time to give a lead, this is it. “Please don’t waste a single day of those six weeks.”
Responding to the email, Labour candidate Angela Smith told the paper: “This is exactly why we must not give the Tories a blank cheque. If Theresa May wins a big majority on June 8 we will see all the worst excesses of an unrestrained Tory Government. “Bringing back fox-hunting, one of the cruellest blood sports imaginable, will be just the start.”
It was reported in September that Theresa May was planning to push ahead with a vote to repeal the Hunting Act in Parliament, a pledge included in the 2015 Conservative election manifesto.
But polls suggest fox hunting continues to be very unpopular, with even most Conservative voters unsupportive of repealing the ban.
Opposition to fox hunting rose to historic levels in December, when 84 per cent of the public said the blood sport should not be made legal again.
This article was first published by The Independent on 09 May 2017.
We invite you to share your opinion whether the Tories should be allowed to bring back fox hunting? Please vote and leave your comments at the bottom of this page.
Thank you for voting.
Editorial Comment: The purpose of this poll is to highlight important wildlife conservation issues and to encourage discussion on ways to stop wildlife crime. By leaving a comment and sharing this post you can help to raise awareness. Thank you for your support.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Europe’s Wolves be Rewilded? – [1413 Views]
- 7 Common Food Items Not Good for Backyard Birds – [1359 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts – [1137 Views]
- Coast Guard Rescues Sea Turtle Entangled Amid Bales of Cocaine – [999 Views]
- Nepal’s Last Dancing Bears Have Been Rescued – [963 Views]
- Poachers Shoot Down Sea Shepherd Drone in the Gulf of Mexico – [929 Views]
- Beak fitness: New Zealand develops roadside gym for endangered keas – [917 Views]
- POLL: Should the trafficking of Hippo Teeth be banned? – [860 Views]
- Fang trafficking to China is putting Bolivia’s jaguars in jeopardy – [803 Views]
- Florida Is ‘Raining Iguanas.’ Will The Invasive Reptiles Adapt? – [781 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7803 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [4519 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [4097 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts – [4067 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [3395 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3100 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]