For someone who feasibly lives merely a day’s hard drive from the glorious expanse that is Namibia, I visit very seldom. I suppose that’s the way it is – life gets in the way, other destinations beckon…but that will change soon.
We will be embarking on a 24-day camping adventure, with families in tow, across a vast portion of Namibia. That’s something we South Africans love to do – overland camping, lugging everything along from a freezer to a portable shower to a mini-kitchen, “spending a fortune to live like a hobo”, as the meme goes.
We were originally only going to go to Etosha for 2 weeks, but then we got thinking – we will be there already, why not add another week?
So here is a quick rundown of our trip:
- Etosha National Park
- Namib Rand Reserve
- Quiver Tree Forest
- Fish River Canyon
As you can see, it’s a veritable bucket list of destinations.
We hiked the Fish River Canyon in 2009, and visited Etosha last in 2013, but I haven’t been to the Namib desert regions since 1995! To say we are excited is an understatement…
Camping with those you love under the immense stars in the wide spaces of Namibia for 3 weeks, cut off from social media and the political turmoil and all the drama in the world…eating good food, drinking good wine, taking some photos, reflecting on how God has blessed us…what more could you want?
See you all on the flipside…
Since picking up a DSLR camera for the first time, a little over 3 years ago, Morkel has been invigorated with an unbridled passion for the photographic art form. He has grown at a tremendous pace and put immense energy into the creation of his images. He absolutely loves spending time in the wild places of his native Southern Africa. From a young age he has been visiting legendary wildlife and outdoor locations, including the Kruger Park National Park and the Drakensberg Mountains, with his family. Now that he has found a way to share the natural beauty of his homeland with the rest of the world he is regularly out on photography trips. An Industrial Engineer by profession, and an accomplished artist in genres like music and poetry, Morkel has always enjoyed whatever allows him to express his creativity to the fullest. Photography turned out to be the perfect "marriage" between his engineering brain and artistic soul. "I hope that in some way I can raise awareness through my imagery of the plight of not only our wildlife but also the fragility of the last remaining wilderness areas that they call home.” Morkel was recently honoured for his commitment to his craft by receiving a "Highly Commended" for one of his images in the 2010 BBC Veolia Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition. He is based in Mpumalanga, South Africa and even though he prefers going on safari with his family and friends, Morkel also leads the odd photographic safari and has recently begun presenting workshops in post-processing techniques.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the MOTV trophy hunting channel be closed down? [1721 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of lions be banned? [1589 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a tough crack down on the killing of raptors? [1246 Views]
- POLL: Should captivity for all killer whales be banned? [1213 Views]
- POLL: Should the keeping of dolphins in captivity be banned? [1196 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy hunting be banned? [1159 Views]
- POLL: Should elephants be kept in captivity? [1083 Views]
- POLL: Should the pangolin slaughter in Africa be banned? [883 Views]
- Karma? Another Trophy Hunter Has Been Killed by an Elephant [731 Views]
- POLL: Should the culling of Scotland’s mountain hares be banned? [719 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16951 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [9264 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3796 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [3084 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2871 Views]
- POLL: Should the sale of elephant ivory be legalized? [2781 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2665 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2574 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2321 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [2239 Views]