After yesterday’s fiasco I had to do penance to both the environment and my body and hope to regain some credit with the Bird Gods. As I had a lunchtime appointment in town with some nice cheese (courtesy of Egil Ween, one of Norway’s top birders, Værøy regular and importer of exclusive foods) it was a no brainer to do the Oslo waterfront by public transport and foot. Between 10-10:30 the bays by the Opera had only 190 Herring Gulls but when I returned at 12:40 the number of gulls had risen to nearly 500 and amongst them was a 1st winter Glaucous Gull.
This bird is presumably the same as the one I found on 31 Jan at the Alna tip (my pictures don’t allow me to be 100% sure but I can’t see any differences). However it does seem quite clearly to be one of the birds I saw at the dump at Askim on 18 Jan (scapulars, primary pattern, tertial pattern and lines on face) so very interesting that both the Iceland Gull and a Glauc have relocated from Askim to Oslo.
It was a pleasure to see it by the Opera rather than scavenging rubbish from a tip! Between 11-12:00 another observer had seen the 2nd winter Iceland Gull but not the Glaucous. He also had around 500 Herring Gulls so clearly gulls start arriving here after around 11am and there is turnover amongst the birds. The birds are mostly loafing, preening, bathing and drinking although there is some bread to be fought over in the area.
I believe though that most of the birds have been at the tip earlier in the day and then retire here once they have had their full of sh*t.There was incredibly little else to see with no seaducks although a flock of Long-tailed Tits feeding in ornamental trees in front of the City Hall was a huge surprise. All pictures today were with the superzoom.
It performed surprisingly well with the tits which were in sunlight and allowed a very low ISO but the Glaucous Gull was in the shade and the correspondingly higher ISO is noticeable in the picture quality.
I have taken on some feedback I received (takk Terje!) and will relegate the pictures of the boring gull to the end of the post and lead with the eye candy tits.
Simon Rix is an English Birder who has lived in Oslo, Norway since 2001. Birding has been his passion since primary school and after an education as an economist and career within oil and gas and then drinks industry he turned his attention full time to birds as middle age approached. He is particularly interested in patch birding and migration and is an active guide, blogger and photographer. He is a member of the Norwegian Rarities Committee (NSKF).
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Trump’s elephant trophy hunting plan be stopped? – [1179 Views]
- POLL: Should babies be allowed to buy hunting licenses? – [1029 Views]
- POLL: Should big-game and canned, trophy hunting be banned? – [1017 Views]
- POLL: Should wild horses be protected from roundups and slaughter? – [891 Views]
- POLL: Should South Africa strictly enforce its anti-poaching legislation? – [815 Views]
- Florida Opened a Fake Alligator Farm to Catch Poachers – [806 Views]
- POLL: Should African Grey Parrots be protected from illegal trafficking? – [786 Views]
- POLL: Should gillnets be banned in the Upper Gulf to save the Vaquita? – [778 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of animals in circuses be banned? – [755 Views]
- POLL: Should international shipping of shark fins be banned? – [752 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7663 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [5866 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3818 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [3648 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3065 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]