After yesterday’s fiasco I had to do penance to both the environment and my body and hope to regain some credit with the Bird Gods. As I had a lunchtime appointment in town with some nice cheese (courtesy of Egil Ween, one of Norway’s top birders, Værøy regular and importer of exclusive foods) it was a no brainer to do the Oslo waterfront by public transport and foot. Between 10-10:30 the bays by the Opera had only 190 Herring Gulls but when I returned at 12:40 the number of gulls had risen to nearly 500 and amongst them was a 1st winter Glaucous Gull.
This bird is presumably the same as the one I found on 31 Jan at the Alna tip (my pictures don’t allow me to be 100% sure but I can’t see any differences). However it does seem quite clearly to be one of the birds I saw at the dump at Askim on 18 Jan (scapulars, primary pattern, tertial pattern and lines on face) so very interesting that both the Iceland Gull and a Glauc have relocated from Askim to Oslo.
It was a pleasure to see it by the Opera rather than scavenging rubbish from a tip! Between 11-12:00 another observer had seen the 2nd winter Iceland Gull but not the Glaucous. He also had around 500 Herring Gulls so clearly gulls start arriving here after around 11am and there is turnover amongst the birds. The birds are mostly loafing, preening, bathing and drinking although there is some bread to be fought over in the area.
I believe though that most of the birds have been at the tip earlier in the day and then retire here once they have had their full of sh*t.There was incredibly little else to see with no seaducks although a flock of Long-tailed Tits feeding in ornamental trees in front of the City Hall was a huge surprise. All pictures today were with the superzoom.
It performed surprisingly well with the tits which were in sunlight and allowed a very low ISO but the Glaucous Gull was in the shade and the correspondingly higher ISO is noticeable in the picture quality.
I have taken on some feedback I received (takk Terje!) and will relegate the pictures of the boring gull to the end of the post and lead with the eye candy tits.
Simon Rix is an English Birder who has lived in Oslo, Norway since 2001. Birding has been his passion since primary school and after an education as an economist and career within oil and gas and then drinks industry he turned his attention full time to birds as middle age approached. He is particularly interested in patch birding and migration and is an active guide, blogger and photographer. He is a member of the Norwegian Rarities Committee (NSKF).
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [3488 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? – [2015 Views]
- POLL: Should Nevada’s wild horses be protected from roundups and slaughter? – [1802 Views]
- POLL: Should the export of young elephants to Chinese zoos be banned? – [1491 Views]
- POLL: Should the Grand Canyon Bison be culled? – [1316 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a total ban on trade in rhino horn? – [1263 Views]
- POLL: Should trail (fox) hunting on National Trust land be stopped? – [1169 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on the shark fin trade? – [1012 Views]
- Radioactive Boar Wreak Havoc on Swedish Landscape – [823 Views]
- POLL: Would you support the reintroduction of the wolf in the UK? – [806 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7628 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [7187 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3693 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3037 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [2289 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [2081 Views]