It’s April 15th. Not only is it tax day but it is also my first opportunity to shoot greater prairie chickens. It’s spring in Nebraska (I use that term loosely as at sunrise it was 27 degrees F with a 25 mph wind out of the north and very overcast). The main event is the prairie chicken mating dance. This is not the same chicken dance you’ve seen at wedding receptions. No, this dance takes place on a lek (a grassy area where the prairie chickens gather at sunrise to display and court their potential mates) and is performed by the male prairie chicken to impress the most eligible female chickens. It’s kind of like dancing with the stars but the stars are the male prairie chickens. The one with the most votes gets the girl(s). It’s quite a spectacle.
I’m staying at Calamus Outfitters on the Switzer Ranch near Burwell, NE. Calamus Outfitters is a family owned business providing opportunities for bird watching, horseback riding, upland bird hunting, deer hunting, tubing, tanking and swimming in the Calamus river. They also cater to wildlife photographers by providing viewing blinds and lots of tips and information (good food too). Top nature photographers such as of Tom Mangelson, Joel Saratore, and Michael Foresberg have shot here. And now I know why. Despite the difficult conditions the chickens did not disappoint. The staff is great too. I want to thank John, a member of the staff and WBA (a tounge-in-cheek acronym bestowed on him by a friend) was especially helpful and helped my achieve another first for me – viewing a family of migrating whooping cranes – but that is a blog for another day.
Here’s my best chicken dance shot of the day. I’ve got one more sunrise shoot tomorrow morning. I’m hoping for warm sunrise.
The post Greater Prairie Chicken – Nebraska Spring Ritual appeared first on Scenic Aperture.
Frank Comisar is a nature photographer who loves to help others make beautiful photographs. His photography interests are varied and range from landscapes to wildlife. He shoots landscapes, wildlife, and nature for the purpose of capturing a moment in time that when revisited, portrays the natural beauty of the places visited and the creatures that live there. His goal is to not merely provide a visual and technical documentation of the scene in front of the lens. Rather, it is to render the scene in an artistic and creative way that not only provides context to the image, but also captures the feeling and essence of the moment.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [2426 Views]
- POLL: Should the UK finally abandon its controversial badger cull? – [2167 Views]
- POLL: Should fox hunting legislation be repealed in the UK? – [2165 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of Grizzly Bears be banned nationwide? – [2013 Views]
- Arctic Fox and Snowy Owl Filmed Doing Strange ‘Dance’ – But Why? – [1807 Views]
- How Sea Shepherd lost battle against Japan’s whale hunters in Antarctic – [1261 Views]
- POLL: Should We Revive Extinct Species? – [1117 Views]
- POLL: Should the Cheetah be classified as “Endangered”? – [1113 Views]
- It’s a Miracle! Wisdom Lays an Egg at Age 67 – [1038 Views]
- POLL: Should drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge be banned? – [980 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7727 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [4826 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [4201 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [4055 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [3285 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3077 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]