The Prince of Wales has ordered a cull of the grey squirrel on his estate in an attempt to protect the indigenous red variety.
“Humane and lawful” measures to control the population of greys, which carry a poxvirus that is deadly to red squirrels, have been introduced on the Duchy of Cornwall estate.
The grey species, which were first brought over from America in 1876, are also “extremely destructive” in woodlands, according to the Forestry Commission, stripping the bark from trees and affecting woodland conservation, biodiversity and sustainability.
A spokesman for Prince Charles said: “The red squirrel is a most cherished and iconic national species, and, as patron of the Red Squirrel Survival Trust, the Prince of Wales keenly supports all efforts to conserve and promote their diminishing numbers.
“Where appropriate, this includes the humane and lawful control of grey squirrels as well as other measures to enhance the natural habitat of reds across the Duchy of Cornwall estate, in accordance with established estate management practices.”
There are 17 red squirrel strongholds in northern England and an estimated 140,000 red squirrels left in Britain, compared with more than 2.5 million greys, according to the Forestry Commission.
Grey squirrels are an obstacle in the government’s pledge to increase woodland cover from 10% to 12% of England’s land area by 2060. They cause tree damage worth an estimated £10m a year, the Country Land and Business Association said.
We invite you to give your opinion whether Grey Squirrels should be culled in the UK. Please vote and also leave your comments at the bottom of this page.
This article was first published by The Guardian on 19 Oct 2014.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Europe’s Wolves be Rewilded? – [1401 Views]
- 7 Common Food Items Not Good for Backyard Birds – [1273 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts – [1117 Views]
- Coast Guard Rescues Sea Turtle Entangled Amid Bales of Cocaine – [999 Views]
- How Do Squirrels Deal With Cold? They May Not Feel It Like Us – [990 Views]
- Nepal’s Last Dancing Bears Have Been Rescued – [960 Views]
- Poachers Shoot Down Sea Shepherd Drone in the Gulf of Mexico – [929 Views]
- Beak fitness: New Zealand develops roadside gym for endangered keas – [911 Views]
- POLL: Should the trafficking of Hippo Teeth be banned? – [841 Views]
- Florida Is ‘Raining Iguanas.’ Will The Invasive Reptiles Adapt? – [781 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7803 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [4516 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [4097 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts – [4032 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering dolphins and whales? – [3395 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3100 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]